Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Why do people get all crazy and silly if somebody posts in all caps? I do understand, to some extent, that this is considered the internet version of yelling - but really people, it's typing with the caps lock on. It's not yelling. It is just hilarious to me the way people will get all upset and say things like "you'll get a better response if you don't yell at us in the thread title" or "why are you yelling at us..." :rolleyes: IMO typing with all caps is no better or worse than never using caps or punctuation which seems perfectly acceptable to most people....I dunno, I guess I just missed being a part of the internet generation or something...I really don't get it...

2. Doesn't really bug me. Usually.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There's plenty of stuff on the Internet, ergo, less motivation to take time with something that is unnecessarily hard to read.

If the poster has clearly got some worthwhile things to say but English isn't their first language, then I'll take a bit of extra time. Likewise, if they've got reasonable things to say but appear to suffer from dyslexia, I'll take some extra time for that.

However, vast unpunctuated paragraphs of capital letters are wearing on the eyes and I've got better things to do with the time.

Compare with:

THERES PLENTY OF STUFF ON THE INTERNET ERGO LESS MOTIVATION TO TAKE TIME WITH SOMETHING THAT IS UNNECESSARILY HARD TO READ. IF THE POSTER HAS CLEARLY GOT SOME WORTHWHILE THINGS TO SAY BUT ENGLISH ISNT THEIR FIRST LANGUAGE THEN ILL TAKE A BIT OF EXTRA TIME. LIKEWISE, IF THEYVE GOT REASONABLE THINGS TO SAY BUT APPEAR TO SUFFER FROM DYSLEXIA ILL TAKE SOME EXTRA TIME FOR THAT. HOWEVER, VAST UNPUNCTUATED PARAGRAPHS OF CAPITAL LETTERS ARE WEARING ON THE EYES AND IVE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH THE TIME.

They say exactly the same - which do you find easier to read?

Wulf

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    B %&^$ E £*£(" C ^&*((^& A (*(*&^ U *^(*&% S 789087 E &*()(*&(*& I &*)(*(*&&& T 9097 ' (*&(*&& S *()((((**)))_**** H &()^%&$ A &*()(*& R *)*&&(^^ D &*((*^^%*((*(&^^ T *(*^%^ O &*&%^%%*^%^ R *(*(&^^ E ((&*&^ A *(*&(*& D

(But not as hard as that was to type)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - what a poster who types in All Caps is saying is : I don't care about the person reading this, or "I'm too lazy or thoughtless to give them any consideration!"

So - in a medium like this if you show no thought to the person reading, then basically you are "branding" youself as :

- thoughtless
    - uncaring
    - not the sort of person that cares about the
    community
    - etc etc

But basically, what I would call a "social pariah" - you are setting yourself up as a troublemaker or vandal .

Now this might sound harsh - but in a forum where words are everything, then they are our surroundings - so by making those surroundings unpleasant , you are in effect a "verbal vandal"!! ;)

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...alot of TB'ers take great pains to be reasonably well composed, even in disagreement. Well written and punctuated prose gets the message across alot better than the kOrN, fIeLDy, stuff.

KNOWHATTIMSAYYINTHERE?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes it also indicates that you have thought about what you are saying, that you are in fact serious about what you say and that you are considering the persons reading - not just standing on a soapboax and shouting!

I also think that how you express yourself, tells us a lot about you as a person - well it is in fact the only way we really have of telling anything about the poster, if they haven't filled in their profile and are fairly new to the board.

So - write well, express yourself clearly and we are inlcined to think of you as a reasonable person, who is thoughtful an considerate.

Conversely, write poorly and without punctuation or regard to how it appears and we are more inclined to think of you as the opposite :

- unreasonable
    - thoughtless
    - disrespectful

etc. etc.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ALLCAPS is freakin' annoying...

I wont read what that person has to say and probably think he's a moron

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah, it's almost as annoying as someone who never capitalizes anything...

:rolleyes:

....oh, hi there JT....

:eek:

:D