Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the big differents between Epiphone and Gibson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ollielangfan, May 17, 2005.

1. ollielangfan

ollielangfan

Apr 3, 2005
    Nampa, ID
    Whats the big differents between Epiphone and Gibson? They look exactly the same but do they preform equally?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Once upon a time, they were two separate and distinct companies. Gibson bought Epiphone and made it their "import line". Most products that bear the Gibson name are made in the US, whereas most other Gibson-owned companies are non-US made.

3. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Epiphones are typically bolt-on, but Gibsons are almost always set-neck (Thunderbird is neck-through). Epiphones are decent budget instruments, but they tend to use second-rate electronics that crap out easily.

There is also the Epiphone Elitist line, which includes a very nice set-neck EB-3 and neck-through Thunderbird. These are more expensive than the other Epis, but cheaper than the "real" Gibson models, but by all accounts I've heard, they are very well made and sound excellent.
    http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/eb3.htm
    http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/thunderbird.htm

This seems to be a good year for Gibson basses - for the first time in a long time they have a bunch of new models. (SG Reissue, Les Paul doublecut, Thunderbird Studio 4 and 5, and the rather un-gibsonish Continental 5).

I kinda wonder if the Elitist EB-3 is going to go away now that Gibson has launched the "SG Bass" reissue which is essentially the same bass at the same price but made in the USA with a Gibson brand name on the headstock. The new Thunderbird Studio is also around the same price as the Elitist Thunderbird, but it has a different look to it.

Might be a good time to watch for blowout specials on the Elitists :)

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a bolt-on Gibson(Grabber) and a set neck Epiphone(Les Paul Standard)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing wrong with Epiphone, I play an Epi acoustic guitar that cost $99 brand new that performs as well as some low end $600 Martins. If you can get past the name they're great instruments for the money generally. I prefer to swap out the electronics though.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I hands down prefer every Epiphone I've ever played to almost every gibson. Expecially in recent years as Epiphone stille turns out consistently good instruments while Gibson basically makes crap.