What's the Big Music Thing That's Going on Outside the US?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FriscoBassAce, Jan 15, 2006.

1. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I've often wondered what the popular music scene is like in Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, etc. In the US, the most popular music seems to be Hip-Hop/R&B, if the Billboard Charts are any indication. Hard rock and pop are represented, but not as dramatically as the other genre. Is this just an American thing, or is it now worldwide? My impressions are that metal and hard rock seem to be more alive in Europe...although I don't know that for sure. I have no clue about the other geographic areas of the world. So help clue me in: what's THE most popular genre in your area of the world, as measured by what's getting played on TV and radio, as well as actual sales charts like Billboard here in the US?
  2. These were the most topical figures that I could find

Most sold albums 2003 in Sweden

There were about 20 Hiphop/RnB albums in the top 100

The current album list is here
    not that much hiphop/rnb

Regarding hard rock my impression is that it is REALLY big in Eastern Europe.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What's big in Australia? That's Easy - whatever was big in the USA and UK 3-6 months ago. That of course means a lot of the American music over here is represented by R&B, and the UK stuff is mostly Robbie Williams type pop and lots of doof.

We get a little bit of rock from those parts of the world too, but luckily for us, the local acts are mostly rock and indie. So as long as Powderfinger, Thirsty Merc, and Jebediah keep churning out albums, the commercial charts over here are always a fairly good balance of everything.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah but you guys get Kylie all the time!:hyper:
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not really. She's much bigger in the UK than here. She's out of action at the moment anyway for breast cancer treatment.
  6. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    By the way, thanks for AC/DC and INXS!
  7. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Asia ... Japan is the biggest market by far; Hong Kong's Cantopop continues in decline; China is producing more and more good musicians, and should be very influential in short order. Live concerts are more important in Asia that CDs because of the piracy problem (it hurts the local musicians worst)
  8. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    What kind of music is most popular there? Is it rock, pop, metal, soul, R&B, or what?
  9. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    What's big in the UK?

Franz Ferdinand (Met the bassist)
    Kaiser Chiefs (Met the drummer)

Those two bands have exploded lately, I guess it's sorta pop-rock, Franz Ferdinand being more pop than Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand set out to make music for girls to dance to, it's actually pretty groovey and at times pretty rocking stuff. Bands in a similar vein are currently doing well commercially. Also, huge amounts of crap hip-hop are being poured on us but finally the ranks of talentless fools are being stemmed by falling record sales. And pop, well pop is still pop, manufactured and with a short shelf life.

Outside of the mainstream (and on the edges of it at times), it's currently attack of the Emos. Fortunatley there are good bands playing proper ol' rock to fight back the hoards of emos. It's a messed up situation, basically, mainstream is largely crumby and even the alternative scene is suffering at the hands of emos. Damn it.
  10. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    New band as of last December in UK are the Arctic Monkeys.
    Awesome band, album was released on Friday past but I had it ages ago (I know a guy who knows a guy).

Funeral for a friend are quite good too a bit too EMO for me to tell the truth but some good tunes.

It seems like we in the UK are a bit tired of all the rubbish girl/boybands at the mo which suits me fine!
  11. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Oh yeah, Bloc party and Maximo park kick ass too!:hyper:
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In Germany, the traditional band is kind of coming back after the last wave of Big Brother "singers" and "Star Search" clones.
    Also, more and more artists sing in German instead of English, which often improves the quality of the lyrics tremendously.
    Last year there was a domination of rock bands with female vocals, such as Wir Sind Helden, Silbermond, Juli and Die Happy.
    There are also some nice exceptions to the otherwise stupid German rap/hiphop, older hiphop bands like Die Fantastischen Vier und Fettes Brot, and the sensational Seeed, a great mix of dub, dancehall, reggae, ska and hiphop.
    Punkbands Die Ärzte and Die Toten Hosen are still going strong, there's a German "Norah Jones" with Annett Louisan.

More maybe later, that's all off the top of my head for now.
  13. In Puerto Rico, it's reggaeton.
  14. all the "cool" bands about just now in the UK are taking their (very obvious) cues from the 80s post punk scene- whenever i hear the kaiser chiefs it sounds like the talking heads and magazine that my dad listened to back in the day:smug:

and yeah, the alternative scene is under siege (and practically dead on its feet :( ) from the emo hordes. something must be done!!
  15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I thought David Hasselhoff was big everywhere but the US.
  16. In Greece the most popular songs are Greek and they more or less s*ck, no music, no lyrics, most of the singers are the winners of television shows... Then comes pop followed by RnB. Very little rock is being heard and metal is almost dead since no radio station plays it.
  17. Rock. Melodic metal ("girl in gothic dress" type).

In the jazz world there is a clearly 'European' scene, which is less "swinging" but (IME) more adventurous, mixing in local ethnic music, classical and all sorts of improvised music. This in contrast to the more 'conservative' US jazz scene. Think Wynton Marsalis etc. However, guys like Jon Zorn or John Scofield are also from the USA (but they come to Europe to make a living....why do you think Gary Willis lives in Barcelona, Spain ?)
  18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    On Stubru; the "alternative" radio

01 (03) ZORNIK Keep me down 05
    02 (01) GREEN DAY Jesus of suburbia 09
    03 (02) COLDPLAY Talk 09
    04 (05) dEUS The real sugar 05
    05 (06) FRANZ FERDINAND Walk away 06
    06 (04) SYSTEM OF A DOWN Hypnotize 11
    07 (08) FOO FIGHTERS Resolve 07
    08 (19) GORKI Joeri 02
    09 (07) ABSYNTHE MINDED My heroics, part one 17
    10 (09) BLOC PARTY 2 more years 15
    11 (10) HOOVERPHONIC You hurt me 07
    12 (13) MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE I'm not okay (I promise) 07
    13 (11) PRODIGY Voodoo people (Pendulum remix) 10
    14 (12) THE DARKNESS One way ticket 06
    15 (17) ASIMOV Metron5 08
    16 (20) MILLIONAIRE Rise and fall 04
    17 (14) KAISER CHIEFS I predict a riot 12
    18 (21) ANOUK One word 04
    19 (15) HIM (Rip out the) Wings of a butterfly 15
    20 (16) JANEZ DETD Deep 21
    21 (30) RAMMSTEIN Rosenrot 02
    22 (25) WITHIN TEMPTATION Jillian (I'd give my heart) 04
    23 (00) ADMIRAL FREEBEE Boy you never found 01
    24 (24) GORILLAZ Dirty Harry 08
    25 (27) HARD-FI Cash machine 03
    26 (18) RAMMSTEIN Benzin 13
    27 (28) THOF VAN COMMERCE Super commerce bros. 03
    28 (00) STARSAILOR Faith hope love 01
    29 (23) DEPECHE MODE Precious 18
    30 (00) MINT Your shopping lists are poetry 01
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh Puhlleeease! He is big in Germany and Austria (not to be confused with Australia), no-where else! You're probably thinking of Robbie Williams :)