What's the Buzz with Eden Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reddavid, May 16, 2002.

1. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    I have a new Eden WT-400 that's only a couple of months old. When I first got it, as soon as I turned it on, there was a loud buzz coming from the transformer. I returned it to Eden for repair. They said, "some are louder than others" and they replaced the transformer.

Well, it's still got an annoyingly loud buzz coming from the transformer. :mad:

Is this typical of Eden amps? I have a Crown amp which is silent, I had an SWR which was quiet.

What's your experience with Eden amps?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What kind of bass are you playing through it? Humbuckers or single-coil pickups? What kind of lights are in the room, incandescent or fluorescent? Does it buzz at every venue and with every bass?

My WT-300 has a little buzz in it at home and most gigs, but it buzzes like a mofo when I play my Fender Jazz through it (it's the bass picking up 60-cycle hum). It gets really bad when I'm under the fluorescents with the cruddy ballast where we rehearse. Check out these things. Play it somewhere else.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    My WT400's as quiet as a mouse. hmm...like muji said, try it in a different place in your home and see if you're not getting a bad grounding or flourescent lighting interference. also try changing out out the tubes. Find a nice 12AX7 and see if that does the trick.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got a WT-500 and it is certainly a little noisier than many amps but its not annoyingly noisy. It's a minor thing given how much I like the amp.
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have two WT400's, One is a little louder than the other, I can live with it for the tone. Like Munji said Lighting is crucial and I also play a Jazz bass and under flor Lights so I have some noise happening.
    Tubes make a diff in the noise output, try and change out the tube and see if it gets better.
  6. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Thanks for the 'feedback'. ;)

It is noisy right at startup - no bass plugged in. Incadescent lighting. I tried it in different outlets. The noise is there without a cabinet plugged in (so it's not ground hum/speaker related). Sounds like an air compressor (not THAT loud, but that 'paddle' kind of noise).

I'll look into changing the tube - it'll be interesting to see what that does to the sound. I've read several good threads here on tube selection. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Thanks again,

7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wait wait...the noise is eminating FROM the head ITSELF?!

not like - through the cabs?

then the tube won't do anything. you've probably got something that's about to go, something arcing - take it in to a more competent tech.

unless it's just the fan bearing going out? :confused:
  8. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    yep, it's the head. no doubt. get noise with no input or output connected. definitely not the fan - get's noisy as soon as you turn it on - i've never gotten it hot enough to have the fan engage.

I sent it Eden for repairs - you'd think they would be competent?!?

I'm about to do the same, again. but will hate to be without it for a month - especially if it's going to come back 'the same'.

that's why i am asking for comparisons.

9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow! Just like W5 said, it sounds internal???
    Should probably be looked at by a pro.
  10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The main power transformer can hum if some of the windings on the core are slightly out of whack. At least that's what I've been able to figure out from researching it on the net. I have a SM400 that gives off a good hum. It has never caused me a problem in terms of functionality. My tech checked the tranny with a variac and said it was working fine.

Next time you walk by some transformers on the street (out in the boonies where its quiet) you can definitely hear them humming, some louder some less. Same concept with the tranny in the head.