Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the capo used by victor wooten in his video "slap bass lesson"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hervetlse, Jul 7, 2005.

1. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    i've just seen victor Wooten's video "slap bass lesson", and he's got a sort of capo installed in his bass, but it not seems to be a standard capo like shubb or dunlop, on the end of the video he slides the "capo" from the top of the fretboard to the third fret very rapidly just with his left hand, seems so easy to use. Anyone knows what is the capo he uses in this video? thank all for your replies :bassist:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Might be the Glider Capo. Michael Manring uses one. Google it.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i think it's just a hair scrunchie to mute the strings when he's slapping. If it's the video I'm thinking of...

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a hair scrunchie, like sargebaker said.

5. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    25 cents at Walgreens =)
    It's actaully more of a mute than a capo.

6. Yup! :cool:

7. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    thank you boys for all your replies. i looked at google to s ee what can it be, and look what i have found

1) a dunlop capo for 1.99$, it's an elastic just like the one on the victor's bass, just the color isn't the same (black on the video), comon' boys a hair scrunchie :meh: , he would have used a sourdine as we say in french in the bottom of the strings to mute them not on the top. It's just my opinion, therefor.

2) a glider capo is a very cool design and i understand that michael manring uses one, so easy to use... but that's not what Victor used on his bass on the video.

10$ for the real answer, com ' on boys :bassist:

Attached Files:

8. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hey guys,
    all my excuses, i just look at the video very close and it is not a capo, must be a hair scrunchie or something like that so the winner is Sargebaker :hyper: :hyper: :bassist:
    applause

9. Yep its a thick hair tie thingy. Not really a scrunchie, as those are usually covered in loose cloth that is "scrunched" up by the elastic inside. You can get them at Wal-Mart or about anywhere that carries hair products. Bum one from your mom or sister or girlfriend or something. Make sure you get the "ouchless" ones that don't have the metal piece holding them together.

[​IMG]

Vic's brother, Reggie, uses 2 big fluffy ones on his guitar too. Also, as sargebaker said, its not used as a capo but to mute the strings a bit. It helps out with slapping and harmonics and all the funky stuff they do.

Oh, and good luck getting it on the neck over the headstock and tuners. They don't tend to want to expand that far and still contract tight enough to mute the strings. If your neck is detachable, that may be the easiest (or only) way to install it.

10. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    IT'S A HAIR SCRUNCHY. Sorry for yelling....It's a hair scrunchy. Lot's of people use 'em, including me. Cleans up your sound when slapping/tapping etc. Plus then you're never at a loss for a scrunchy when some chick needs one. ;)

ps. where's my 10 bucks?

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had to take two tuners off in order to get mine on my Cirrus. And then after that I would up cutting it off because it muted the strings so much where they were almost completely dead.

12. Couldn't you just slide back past the nut towards the headstock ?

That's what I do when I don't want/need the muting .

:)

13. How is the string you want to pluck able to vibrate? It seems to me that a scrunchie would be too much mute.

14. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    The point is for it to mute the strings you aren't playing so you don't have any ringing notes when slappng. Also it's nice for tapping because you don't get that double note dissonance from the headstock side of the ntoe your playing. It has no effect whatsoever on a note you're fretting because you fret the note before the scrunchy.

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh yea I could, it's just with the mute in place, it was way too much muting :) I sat there thinking "People actually like this?" :) Plus, I originally put it there to calm some string vibrations while slapping (slap the D, the A vibrates etc..) and it didn't work. Putting a foam mute under the strings worked better and has better tone IMO.