Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the catch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    so i am in the market for a new computer, but my budget is laughable. so i figure i will just build one. so i go to my usual shopping spot for computer supplies... Pricewatch.com and begin looking around. I found what they call a pc with no os. so the computer comes with no windows... no big whoop. an athlon 2200 with 128 of ram and a 20 gig hard drive... for 125 dollars!

there has to be a catch.

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Actually, I wouldn't suspect a catch.

You can get a BETTER Dell computer (with Windows ;) ) for ~$300 right now (not sure whether with or without a monitor).

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Is that one of those 'bare bones' systems, where basically it's RAM, Motherboard, CPU, and sometimes a GPU

then you have to add, HD, GPU(sometimes) provide cables, a monitor, and an OS.

I believe they are designed for those that want to get into computer building, but are really new to it, so it's kind of an intermediate step.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    no its all you need 'cept monitor

i like upgrading and will upgrade the video and sound anyway. also ram is soo cheap. i have monitors and software. you get the idea,

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, go for it then. I mean, hell there are lots of these types of systems, I think that's probably their other expected use, people that have a lot of parts that they can put in when they get this new system.

either that or it's jtus clearance for a bunch of 5 year old tech :p

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    athlon 2200 is an old preocessor?
    where have i been?