what's the cheapest bass you ever bought new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Sep 27, 2021.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the cheapest electric bass i ever bought new was probably in 1995. it was a rogue 5-string from MF, and it ran me $80.

i didn't know a thing about basses then except how to play them, so when the bass arrived with the strings leaning against the neck, i called MF, and they refunded me $40 to take it to a luthier LOL

2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Ibanez RB360, probably sub-2 hundie. Can't even remember where I bought it. Current whereabouts unknown but I still have the chainsaw case.

I loved the P-body with 2+2 headstock, PLUS those arrowhead strap buttons were a brilliant design.

EDIT: My el cheapo Yammy fretless, purchased ca 1990, may have been lower-ticket than the Ibby. It lives in that chainsaw chase.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    Nice.

I thought $155 for my Jag SS was good, but you have me beat by a lot!

tindrum and pcake like this.
  4. I've only ever bought 2 basses brand new, and don't own either anymore. One was a Hofner Club Ignition, it was a pretty cool bass but I couldn't get past the feeling that it was just "fragile" for lack of a better word. And when those first came out it was only available in turd-burst brown and black. I chose turd-burst as the lesser of two evils in that case but that color did nothing to endear me to the bass.

The cheapest one was an SX SS Jazz and I think I paid $149 for it. It was great right out of the box and I bought it primarily to have a back up on hand. Once I got the 2nd Musicmaster it went on down the road too. Never needed it as a backup but it was fun to play and kind of miss that one.

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    hooray - i win! ;-)

i got my bronco for $129 on sale from i think sam ash and my mini P for $149.

blastoff99 likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I bought a used Sekova (cheap Korean copy of a Hofner 500/1 Beatle Bass) in 1974 or ‘75 for $65. Sold it a year or two later for $75!

edit: Derp, I just noticed that the thread title specified Cheapest Bass You Ever Bought New! mea culpa

...that would be the 1985 Fender Elite Precision II that I got at dealer cost when Fender was blowing them out. $198.

Sold that one 15 years later for $200! Notice a pattern here? :)

MonetBass, ThudThudThud and pcake like this.
  7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    In 1964 I paid $45.00 for a new Danelectro short horn. It was my first bass.

8. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    My first bass, a Kingston Japanese made mid-sixties Bass, $69.99 with case, bought from a electronic supply catalog, Allied Electronics.

MonetBass and pcake like this.
  9. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Probably a Squire Standard Jazz in 2001 or 2002. I think it was just a couple hundred at the time and all I could afford. It replaced a Peavey I was playing at the time. The band I was playing with thought it better but really they were listening with their eyes. It lasted for a while, was actually decent but not great sounding. It was replaced by a Fender MiM Zone which had a lot more punch and made my much happier.

MonetBass, tindrum and pcake like this.
  10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    A MIJ JooDee Performer, basically a Fender Precision copy, cost me about $200 at today's rates. That was in 1978, and I consider it money well spent - that bass has served me since, on stage and in the studio. I've made certain modifications (pickup, bridge, pg), but nothing over $100. I've had (and have) other basses that were much more costly, but not as useful.

kodiakblair and pcake like this.
  11. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Easy. Squier CV 70's Precision. Even not taking inflation into account it is my lowest cost new bass. My first bass was a Yamaha BB1100S and it cost me more in 1988 than the Squier. If you account for inflation, it is probably 50% of any other new bass I have bought.

12. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    I don’t remember I was baked….

It was a Hondo I know that much…

Edit… The cheapest bass I’ve ever bought in my life was last week. If you haven’t seen it just search my threads. I won’t advertise it as some have had mini heart attacks over it lolol!!!

13. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Not sure the price since it was a gift. 1985 Lotus PJ. My parents got it for me for a christmas present. It was my second bass and replaced a no name short scale that was my first bass.

pcake and tindrum like this.
  14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I scored a Modern Player Satin Jazz Bass 5 string for $400... That was my cheapest new bass. The cheapest used bass was a P bass from GC with Squier CV body and a Warmoth birdseye maple neck for $80... yep $80.

pcake and tindrum like this.
  15. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    First and only bass I've ever purchased new: ESP LTD B-50, $149.99. My 15 year old son pulled it out of it's case this weekend and has been using to learn bass.

16. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I've owned probably around 100 different basses over the years, but only 2 of them were new when they came to me. The cheaper of those 2 happens to be my most treasured and important bass: a black holo-flake Squier Jazz bass. It cost about $300 around 20 years ago, boughten for me by my dear friend Dan (RIP) when I was way down on my luck and just about outdoors. I will never, ever part with this bass for any reason.

IMG_20210113_180957.jpg

17. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I think I had about $185 OTD in a Squier Chris Aiken P-Bass a few years back. Long gone but I'd pay that and more for the neck alone now if I could find one.

18. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    My parents bought me a $75 Norma violin shaped bass in 1971. Does that count? If not, I closest I can offer is a Sterling Short Scale I bought new last year. Is was $460. So, I’m not winning any prize!

Michael Vee, downunder and pcake like this.
  19. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I bought a silvertone 4 string for around 100 spacebux in something like 2003ish.

pcake and BrickBatMansion like this.
  20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My son's $60 violin BIN on eBay about 20 years ago. He wanted it because it was painted black. He played it for several years in his middle school, high school, state youth orchestras and even a youth concert at Lincoln Center. His violin teacher and orchestra leader both loved its tone and playability. Best money I ever spent on a new instrument. He eventually put the violin aside and branched out on guitar, bass and piano.

The cheapest new bass I ever bought was a Rogue Violin bass at just about $99.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021