what's the cheapest way of making a 3 song "listenable" demo cd?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just wondering what the cheapest way to make a demo would be. Perhaps recordable mini discman that i could rent?

The sound quality doesnt have to be fantastic, but good enough that one isnt going to wince when hearing it.

2. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    Well, listenable is in the ear of the aurally affected...

I made the ones here (http://www.takingfiremusic.com/hear.shtml) with a Sony Mini Disk player/recorder and its standard stereo microphone. An audience member just sat with it clipped to their shirt (you can hear the occasional talking, too).

Ran it into Adobe Audition for a little EQ and wrote it to MP3s. I put a bit more bass in a different set and did a little hiss reduction on some of the clips, but the singer likes the raw sound of these better. If you listen with head phones you can tell the L-R balance isn't quite right.

But I think they pass the listenable test. I don't think it would work well in your typical, small practice room though, as the reverberation becomes too much of a factor. But if you can setup with a decent PA, record a bit, listen to it, adjust everyone's volumes a bit, then let it rip, you can certainly end up with something that is listenable.

3. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    you mean you can`t find anyone with recording gear that will record you for FREE! there is so many people with home gear willing to record people for free.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    never thought of that. i dont like to put a burden on people. I like the mini disc idea. No idea where i could rent one though.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Just realize you will need to get from the minidisc to your computer if you plan on burning CDs of the music. Minidisc to computer requires digital to analog to digital conversion which may require new hardware/software depending on what you currently have.

Hi-MD costs a little more but will allow you to stay digital and just USB or firewire out to your computer.
  6. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    You can probably pick up a mini-disc with stereo microphone on eBay for not too much. In addition to allowing you to record something that may be sufficiently demo-like, you can record everything else any time you want. We leave it running at practice just in case someone tosses out something cool or something that was meant as a warm-up jam develops unexpectedly. I'll take it on longer trips so that I can capture any ideas that might come up (hard to write when you are driving). I've even sung the occasional bass line into it for later transcription.

I do have to play the mini disc and record the outputs into my computer. A bit of a PITA, but the new HighMD devices are much pricier.

7. I second everything Millard said.

I have heard demos recorded live on MD which were actually better than stuff that had taken a couple of days in a studio. ;)