Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the closest to a Geddy in 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Jan 12, 2006.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody!

Some time ago I gave the Fender Geddy J a try and absolutely loved it. I played lots of Js but the Geddy is definitely the best for me. Thing is I play 5-string and would like the sound and feel of a Geddy but in a 5 string version. Highlights on this bass for me are: A) amazing neck (as thin as possible), B) great sustain, C) much growlier than average Jazzes and D) brighter sounding than average Jazzes. Do you know of any (reasonably priced) alternative to make my "5-string Geddy Jazz" dream come true? Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    This...

[​IMG]

As far as "reasonably priced", you would have to let us in on your budget.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Or Maybe one of Nino Valenti's basses...Then you could do a Geddy V with a different finish.

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    By "reasonably priced" I meant "not much more expensive than a Geddy Jazz". Let's say, something in the $1000 range (+/- a couple hundreds). Thanks for the Sadowsky idea though! Unless I find one used (impossible here in Spain) I'm affraid it's out of my budget. Thanks anyway!

ANDRUCA

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You just perfectly described Nino's Geddy Vee...

[​IMG]

Specs:
    Maple/Maple neck
    Black blocks and binding
    Swamp Ash Body
    Nordstrand Big Singles
    Aguilar OBP-1
    Hipshot Ultralites and B style Bridge

Nino could build you one right around your price range. www.valentibasses.com

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Oh yeah! How could I forget about Nino's! Regardless, it would be tough finding a Geddy Vee around $1,000. You're talking between $1500 and $2200 minimum.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    WOW! Looks gorgeous! I'm definitely contacting Nino (as soon as I have the cash). Thanks so much! Perfect alternative! By the way, I'm a little picky regarding neck profile. Is it a thin neck? I mean, how does it compare to a Stingray 5's neck. Thanks!

ANDRUCA

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Neck is a little chunky, I'd say it's definately smaller than a Stingray 5.

9. I'll bet he could come out cheaper than that if he went passive, and maybe did a standard bridge. He did say he wanted the Geddy tone, so I'm guessing he doesn't HAVE to do the Nordstrand/Aguilar thing. that will save some scratch!

10. That's what I was thinkin' too...

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The above setup would be right around $1500. Talk to Nino about your options.

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Doubt you'll find anything much (if at all) in that price range..

That Sad's hawt!!! Me want!!

[​IMG]

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're not wedded to appearance, you could go with a Lakland DJ5, which is a very growly, aggressive, bright Jazz bass. No black blocks on maple board, though. Cheesewiz recently sold one on the classifieds in a four-string model. You could probably find one used for under $1K.

Otherwise, you're probably best off going with a Valenti. Tremendous value there.

Personally, I'd probably save up for the Valenti. With Nino, you not only get great craftsmanship (from what I've heard), you can also get EXACTLY what you want (within reason, I suppose) since it would be custom-made.

14. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Mine is coming today! :hyper: Nino installed VTC and black guard.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Off topic: So what's the big deal about the VTC*??? How is it better/worse than the standard 2 band pre?

*Yeah, I know it stands for Vintage Tone Control..

16. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i would say here that it would be easy to fall in love with a 5 string that LOOKS like a Geddy, i did and put something together along those lines, though no pickguard and a figured maple top, but it is important to remember he liked the feel and tone of the Fender Geddy, which is a very thin neck and nut width , passive, with the Fender pickups and a badass II bridge, so while other basses may look "Geddy", they may not sound or feel it. Fender should just recreate it as a 5, if they did, i would probably go for one.
    Still, the Sadowsky gives me GAS, and the Valenti is a gorgeous bass.
    Mark, the VTC , in my opinion, is a must in a Sadowsky. It really warms up the tone by rolling the hi's and giving it a great " burp" for fingerstyle. I only had a chance to check it out on 2 Sads, and i would go for it.. expensive mod, though, at $150. The F basses have a passive tone knob that is along the same lines. It just gets it nice and warm and takes the edge off, which is a very pleasing tone for certain applications-
    My " Mutant Geddy 5 " has the J retro Deluxe preamp, which also has a passive tone control thing. I use it all the time
    [​IMG]

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks so much everybody for the information. One more thing, what about the KSD 70's jazz model? Is it worth it? How's its neck profile and overall sound? B string? Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Andruca, if you like the thin feel of the Geddy, the KSD is a thick feel, chunky. I dont think you'll dig it. The KSD is a lot of bass for the money, and it sounds really good, i guess if you take some sandpaper.

Oye, tengo celos que vives en España ! me encantaria visitar.
    Buena suerte con la busca de el bajo

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy mother, mary, and joesph...