What's the correct way to power up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JerseyFunk, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    I'm just getting into playing again after taking off about six years. I just purchased my new rig and this is the first time I've used a seperate power and pre amp. I want to plug both into a power conditioner (by the way Furmans new power conditioners will be shipping end of March in case anyone wanted to know). I assume I just follow the signal chain...correct?
    plug bass in turn on power conditioner, preamp,poweramp. THen turning off is reversed right?....Stupid question but it's been soo long:oops:

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Welcome back, JerseyFunk. :D

Here's what I do when I use my full rack, which includes my Aguilar DB750 amp, a Lexicon MPX100, Korg D1000 tuner all plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

I keep everything powered ON, with the mute switch on my DB750 engaged. Powering up the Furman powers up everything at once. Having the mute switch on the amp engaged safeguards the speakers.

Then I plug in my bass and tune up. Mute switch is still engaged. Once I'm in tune I disengage the amp's mute and away I go.

When I'm ready to power down, I engage the mute switch, unplug my bass, then power down the whole rig from the Furman.
  3. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I aprreciate the help.:bassist:

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That is anything BUT a stupid question. You'd be surprised how many people screw up the process.

Craig - that's some good info. I'll try doing that myself.
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I never touch any on/off switch except the power conditioner. Everything else is left on. I just make sure that the power amp is zeroed when I power up, and zeroed again before I power down.
  6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Not such a great idea with a tube amp like an SVT etc. If it has a standby, use it before you turn off.

if you pop the power on a tube amp, all the voltages are way high until the tubes warm up and start to draw current. Capacitors and insulation get stressed more. If you don't have to, why stress all that stuff?

Even if you have a tube rectifier, it is better to use the standby as the final power-on if the amp has one.