1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's The Craziest Thing You've Done For A Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Icarus26, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonight, I'm seriously thinking about taking money from my dad's secret stash in order to buy an acoustic bass, since i don't have one. The good part of me says i should pay it back in intervals, but a part of me just wants me to take the money and let that be it. My parents and i have never and probably will never see eye to eye. I can't wait for next year when i move to college and get away.

That's just my little story. So tell me, what's the craziest thing you've done for a bass?

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Don't do it.

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    The craziest thing was probably I found out my son was stealing money from the fund I'd set aside to buy him this nice new Rickenbacker. He bought some stupid acoustic bass that I took away from him. Set it on fire with a huge grin on my face...with the realization that Karma is indeed a bitch.

4. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    HAHAHAHA

5. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    go ahead and steal from your parents, but if youre gonna steal from them, at least complete the stereotype and buy drugs with the money.

6. Don't do that. It will give you bad karma - and you surely won't be able to really enjoy the new bass.

Save the money and spend your time practicing - and when you finally get the new bass, you'll be a much better player.
    A new bass doesn't make you a better player. And I think that stealing the money for it would spoil all the fun you could have with a new instrument. When you steal something, you loose more than you will ever get. Just don't do it.

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Not to get too harsh on you, because I was a teenager once. Not THAT long ago. Trust me on this one...its not worth it.

My dad used to have a stock of cash that I wasn't supposed to know about. I did. Never touched it, which came in handy when he had to replace the truck I totalled and the time I got bailed out of jail.

Funny thing; that cash that I wanted so badly to take was for me all along. Almost as if he'd known it from the start.

8. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    That good part of you told you to pay it back, but forgot to tell you not to steal it in the first place? Seems your conscience guys are lazy. Plus, I'm sure they'll never notice that shiny new acoustic bass of yours.

Stealing's bad, mmmkay?

Mr.

9. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    sold my Uconn LE paintball gun, only to find out im going to be playing again next semester after taking one off.

10. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Don't jack money for a bass. It'll be a dirty bass, and all music that comes out of it will be nasty, muddy, and without any merit.

And I got on my knees and begged my wife for my Schecter. It worked.

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    K, don't steal.............

Try this, one, maybe two months flipping burgers on the side, you live at home, expenses can't be that high, save a few bucks, buy bass, enjoy bass.

12. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    The craziest thing I've done is save my money until I can afford what I want.

But if you want to hear a "stealing from Dad story" maybe this will count:

I was in college and in need of a new cab. I also needed to sign up for the dining hall's meal plan. I asked my Dad for the dining money. I took it and bought a Hartke XL15. And starved. The cab eventually blew up during a very loud rehearsal. I replaced the driver, sold the cab, and bought a used Trace 1818x. I replaced *that* 18" driver and used it for many years. It now sits in the corner of my basement unused - replaced by another Trace 1818 which was then replaced by a Bergantino NV215.

And that's why I could go for a sandwich right about now.

13. mechmitch

mechmitch

Oct 28, 2008
    Tulsa, OK area
    My first Bass was a Black and white Squire P-Bass. I picked it up for around $100. I pinstriped it and customized it to get the look I wanted but I could never get the sound out of it so I was determined to get a regular Fender. Problem was, the wife would sh*t if I spent the money on ANOTHER guitar so soon. I had to look until I found an identical black and white Fender P-Bass, buy it with my emergency stash cash, and then keep it hidden until I could duplicate all the striping and customizing I'd done to the Squire. Finally swapped it out and she never realized the difference.
    After 6 months or so, I "brought home" the Squire and told her I got it from a buddy. Ain't marriage grand!?

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I lived hungry,literally,outside home for more then a year.I used to go out at 07:00 and arrive home at 19:00.I was saving for a bass and a bass can not be bought by stolen money.Man up and start saving.

15. ive taken a bullet for my squire.....seriously tho.. im buying a new bass soon too and just got my first job at 16 to get me a stingray.... im saving up 2 months 99% of my cash so i can buy that bueaty straight up.... how hard can it honestally be?

(I might have stolen my parents cash..but they have non)

16. Why not try to build a decent relationship with your parents before you leave for college and maybe, just maybe they'll buy you the bass before you go.

Hey, it worked for me.

17. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    The craziest thing I ever did for a bass was saving up 1900 euros and buy one @_@.

18. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Well if you don't have the best relationship with your parents to begin with do you really think that stealing from them is the best thing to do. Also, if your gonna do something bad think it through. Don't you think your dad will find it a little fishy for him to be missing a couple hundred bucks, and for you to have a brand new bass?

19. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    I slept with my bass cuz the guitar stand was making dents and scratches, did that for a week then built my own, fabric and cushions and stuff and even a cubboard for ma pedal.
    Anyway, I didnt want ma precious to get mutilated.

20. HAHAHAHA, the good said says pay him back... not don't take it... thats brilliant.

Craziest thing i ever did, well, I'm not sure what i did.
    Was on a weekend bender after a gig we did, i woke up on the tuesday with a fender jag :bag:

I did have a hole in my bank account, but not enough to cover the full cos of the bass... Good times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.