1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the deal here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    A friend of mine recently posted this link on Facebook about a high school student made car that can go upwards to 400+ miles on one tank of gas:

So what's the deal here?

Why is it that students in school are able to produce these kinds of cars (which are street legal - or at least the second one is) that see these kinds of results, and yet actual automotive companies can't (or, more likely, wont) even come close?

I'm just dumbfounded that we have this ability and technology and yet we don't use it. Granted, the body designs aren't 'sexy' by any real means, but with the kinds of savings I'd be seeing per year I'd gladly have one of these as a daily commuter.

Sadly, I think most of us are able to venture a guess as to why cars that are this efficient will never see the light of day anytime in the near future, and I think it's really ****ing sad :scowl:

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Big detroit is in bed with big oil.

3. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    How much market do you think there is for:

A single seat car (that you have to remove the steering wheel to get into)

Top speed around 60mpH

Cruising speed around 30mpH

Weighs less than 300 pounds (won't pass any crash tests)

Costs $100,000 in materials to build

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Three words: Lobbyists, Capitalism, Industry

Keep in mind these vehicles were constructed by students.
    Certainly if major industry actually wanted to design more energy efficient automobiles they could use these as models to build something that would meet their market needs and be more cost efficient.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I take it you have never seen "Who Killed the electric Car?"

There was a fellow from eastern Canada who claimed he had a Toyota that went over 1500 kms or something ridiculous off one tank. He had bought it new and drove it, keeping a vehicle log, he had it for maybe a month when apparently the dealership called him and told him his car wasn't for him and had to come back to the factory. I couldn't find the news story now, and I don't know what ever happened with it, this was a couple years ago now.

Like aborgman said, that particular car will never be street legal, you would die an awful death in a crash in that thing.

Also, if something will stop people from making money they will stop it. Why do you think electric street cars were all ripped from North American cities aside from a couple cities. Well it is because the American Automotive industry bought them all up, ripped them out, and told everybody to buy cars!

Apparently Nikolai Tesla (A truly great inventor unlike that A hole money hungry Edison) was working on developing a tower that would generate enough free electricity to power the planet... once the investors found out it would make free energy they pulled funding.

EDIT: While trying to find the article about the man with his Toyota and I found this... pretty funny right down to the website address.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/conspiracy.htm

6. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    The second one IS street legal. It is expensive, however, costs go down when you increase the number that you're producing. Also, costs will decrease as technology improves. And let's not forget, these are student made vehicles. Car companies undoubtedly have the resources and ability to decrease costs further through partnerships they have with their suppliers. Plus, they also have the ability to further improve designs, increase the number of seats and cargo space, etc... Mileage might go down some, but when you're talking about a vehicle that are already getting 400 or 2,200 mpg, I'm quite positive they can still keep their mpg very high while making it more practical and affordable for the average person. There are ways to make this happen. I think Nukes gave a more realistic view as to why this has yet to happen.

7. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    There, I fixed it for you:D

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I thought I had said as much without actually using the words. :D

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Having to fill up your fuel tank often works the same way that planned obsolescence does. If people needed less fuel, it would bring in less profit - just like if they made cars that lasted a century.

10. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I've been aware of it, though I'll admit I've never put the time in to really research it. However, I do know that a number of those vehicles were made, bought back, destroyed, and then kept 'hush hush' from the public.

Regardless, when will we wake up to this nonsense? It's completely asinine to not pursue these sorts of technologies. And I don't for a second buy the idea that this sort of thing will decrease sales or jobs or industry. Rather, it'll just change everything over into a new model that's 'better' and more efficient.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Here's a weird thought - what do you think would happen to the world economy if the bottom of the gas and oil market just dropped out? So many nations rank petroleum as a sizable source of wealth. Granted, it's more than just automobiles that use gas and oil but let's say a new energy source was discovered? Kind of scary, as I think we've painted ourselves into a corner at the moment. The only way something like that may work is if it was a gradual and long-term changeover. Not only are people profiting from the status queue and don't want to see change, there are also nations that could take a huge hit. To be clear, I'm not supporting "big oil" I'm just saying that there's a lot more to this than one aspect.

12. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Like batteries that could have a longer lifespan, minimal size and price, and larger power/charge ratio. Then everyone could realistically have solar/wind powered homes. But, then we would be off the grid and the big gubment doesn't want that.

The history of Hemp vs. wood is a good example.

13. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Not necessarily. The energy game will merely change. If oil industries want to stay alive then they'll just need to adapt or they will go under...

Or maybe they won't. There's still a whole world out there that they can exploit. Understandably, the US does buy a lot of oil and that will cut into their profits, but quite frankly I don't understand why that should be our problem. If this a capitalistic society then allow laissez-faire (or something close to it) to happen, and if big oil goes under then oh well.

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    But less profitable, per the moment.

15. aborgman

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Considering our universities (much more successful) solar car is sitting about 100 yards away from me, I know numerous students on the team, and they test it in our wind tunnel... I'm pretty aware.

I'm also aware of how much work goes into them that is unpaid. If you counted all the student hours at minimum wage, you'd probably quadruple the manufacturing costs. There are alos large numbers of parts that are donated to the projects FROM the auto companies, as well as donated research time.

They have.

Why do you think auto companies sponsor these things? Ours is sponsored by Ford, GM, Roush, Chrysler, Bosch, John Deere, Shell Oil, Dana, Michelin, and Boeing among others.

They use these things as rolling future product test beds. Use of composites, low rolling resistance tires, aerodynamic advances, etc. have been adopted from things first done in these sorts of projects.

16. aborgman

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Last I knew, in the USA, only about 50% of oil is used for fuel (cars, heating, everything).

The rest is used to make plastics, chemicals, fertilizers, etc.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well your second paragraph puts it pretty clearly, except that it will costs thousands of people their jobs at the same time it creates a plethora of new jobs. The oil industries collapse would cost many people billions of dollars, so they don't want to stop that.

Also, "better" is a subjective term.

What do you think causes more environmental problems from factory assembly line to end of life sitting in the junkyard. A Toyota Prius or a Hummer?

The Prius causes far more environmental harm than the Hummer. The making of the battery causes tons of emissions, far more than a Hummer will in its entire life span. People buy a Prius so they feel better about themselves, it doesn't make the earth any better off

Electric cars are not perfect either.

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its a great big plastic world.
    Corn is also used to make a lot of plastic.

19. aborgman

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    ...and oil is used to make the fertilizer to grow the corn to make the plastics.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    ITS A TRAP!