what's the deal w/reverse p-style pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scourge, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Normal precision pickups are arranged with the bass side neckward and the treble side bridgeward (I just made up these words, I think). I've seen some models that are reversed, with the treble closer to the neck and the bass toward the bridge. I was watching an old Night Ranger video earlier and Jack Blades had one of each on his bass.

What's the tonal difference or, if there's none, is it just aesthetic or maybe an end-run around a patent?

I'll try to get some pics up later.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's to push the bass side toward the bridge for more treble and the treble side toward the neck where it naturally resonates with a warmer tone. It's one design to minimize differences in tone and make the high strings warmer and the low strings brighter.
  3. well, that makes sense, doesn't it?

Do you know of any brands that offer an option, or do they normally stick with one particular pattern? I've seen old bc rich eagles that are reversed, but never a fender.

Also, if you buy replacement pups, like SDs and such, do you have the option as to layout?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fender likes to stick to the original configuration, and a lot of the more classic looking brands do.

Ibanez and the new-age type of manufacturer usually go for the reverse P. I have one of each.

If you buy replacement pickups, you generally end up putting them in the configuration your bass was routed for, otherwise you're up against some major surgery.