What's the deal with BadAss bridges?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fake Trees, May 25, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Can someone explain to me why they are so popular? (and expensive). Are they much better than other bridges, do they impact your sound in any way?

By the way for all you Geddy Lee J bass owners, when you buy this bass is the bridge already filled down?

PS- BTW if your gonna type "do a search", plz dont waste your oh so important time to enlighten me, i already did, yes, even in the setup forum.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    They are heavy. They have grooves so the saddles don't move side to side. They have a long intonation adjustment range. They are a direct Fender replacement (screwholes match). Saddles can be filed to customize string spacing. They have a cool name. That's why.
  3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Define expensive. You get them here for about $50 for a plain chrome one, although I got mine from a local MARS for the same price before they declared bankruptcy.

I put one on a MIM P-Special and it improved the sustain a bit.

4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Absolutely. I put 'em on my '77 P-Bass and an old aluminum-neck Kramer and, as was said, improved sustain, as well as more depth to the sound - kinda hard to explain in words, but more lows and more highs/harmonics. A good, solid bridge helps more of the sound of the bass to come through, while a not-so-good one will kind of soak it up and make it more dead. I suppose if your going for that old-school super thumpy no-definition sound, a cheap, flimsy bridge would help.

There's lotsa good bridges to be had, it's just that the BadAss is a direct replacement (no drilling) so you can go back to original if you want, and they've been around forever, and they're priced competitively.
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yep... the Geddy's are ready to go right out of the box...

6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I installed one on my Jazz Bass back when I was playing full-time in the 1980s. They basically enhance the tone and response of the instrument. I really like them on Jazz Basses.
  7. theyre BadAss bridges, so they must be BadAss.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, on the Geddy bass the saddles are filed at the Fender factory.

I had them on a couple of basses in the past, but I dont like them anymore, and just prefer stock bridges on Fenders.

I really get a kick out of people saying they "improve sustain"....
    Yo! We're bass players, how much sustain do you need? Unless that bass is a dead piece of wood, it should hold it's own for a few seconds.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're pretty much outdated IMO.
    They got popular because they were the pretty much the only decent after-market bridges when they came out.

But today there are lots of alternatives, great 3D bridges where you don't have to file any grooves.
    I'd choose a ETS Tuning Fork over a Badass any day.
  10. MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Ditto (well, except for the part about playing full time in the 80's). I got mine for $40.00 CAD several years ago when a store was going out of business. It replaced the cheap bridge that was on my MIM Jazz. What a difference!!
  11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    When I finally tired of my EBO bridge, (mounted on two posts not firmly to the body, plastic saddles, E string would NOT intonate, thud thud thud on the bottom 5 notes,) I went to Leo's in Oakland and they recommended the BA I. I was told at the time, around 1970?, that they were originally designed to help this bass. I heartily agree. This bridge brought out the acoustic tone I had always heard. Intonation was now attainable. Lower note clarity improved. I have heard from many other BA users that difference they heard was almost negligible, so I think it depends on the instrument. Some sing from the factory, others need a bit of help. ;) I also agree that there are many great newer designs out right now. I've been jonzin for one of the new individual bridge per string models.
  12. there some thing to more weight being better when i took the stock mim fender bridge off and put a kahler trem on it made the notes sound less muddy, and ring out better and make harmonics sound clearer. i noticed when i replaced the bridge on my othere bass with a goth that same thing happen. made the low end more define and the top end smother.
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine made the bass more lively, clearer with more sustain. It also sounds better thumped and popped.:bassist:
  14. mw

Jul 24, 2000
    a few years ago, i got a new BA bridge for $26 and it made a mediocre MIM p bass absolutely amazing. much better than the hipshot competition...
  15. Playing a Rickenbacker must be equivalent to torture for you...
  16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You figured me out real quick, didn't you! :p
  17. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    They improve sustain and tonal clarity. I had one on a MTD Kingston.
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    JMX is spot-on. I completely agree.

The biggest change you'll notice when going to a badass bridge is that your bass looks a lot cooler. It's a very cool looking bridge. The change in tone is very subtle, but I've noticed a distinct change in "feel" when I replaced a Fender bridge with a Badass.
  19. One big reason why I installed a BadAss on my Rickenbacker 4001 was to make intonation adjustment and string changing easier. The stock Ric bridge is a real pain to intonate.

Tonally, I think that the BadAss made the bass sound a bit tighter and more modern, and added a bit of sustain. However, it still definitely sounds like a Rickenbacker.
  20. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey bro what is a ETS Tuning Fork anyway?? Links or other would be cool. Is it a direct replacement?