1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the deal with "flashy" bassists ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JohnnyFlashpan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Keep the GROOVE! Do it simple and do it right!

44.6%
  2. Whiddle around trampling over the guitar, like some virtuoso

12.8%
  3. Either/neither for the rest of you

42.6%
  1. JohnnyFlashpan

JohnnyFlashpan

Jul 10, 2019
    Hello there. I'm an older fella, been playing for bout 30 years, started at 19. I go to a lot of events and whatnot and meet/jam with a lot of bassplayers. I just have to ask? What's the deal with the flashyness?

All these younglings, and even people older than ME coming out with 6-stringed, active, african tonewood basses trampling all over the high notes.

In my opinion the bass is a RHYTHM INSTRUMENT, and i just don¨t see the point with all this flash and finesse !! They call it lead bass or "melodic bass"

I think a bassist should keep a groove, keep away from the high tones and K.I.S.S !! Just give me a precision, some nice roto 77''s and a groove to hold

Anyone wanna chime in?

TH63, bobyoung53, BlueP and 14 others like this.
  2. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    This coming from a guy named JohnnyFlashPan?

(Totally kidding here)

3. JohnnyFlashpan

JohnnyFlashpan

Jul 10, 2019
    I originally wanted "flash IN the pan", but the name was to long :bassist:

lat, JCooper, Quinn Roberts and 2 others like this.
  4. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Different strokes for different folks.

Wavebird, Larchi, Ferniff and 44 others like this.
  5. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'll chime in. You play the way you want and don't worry about what the other guy is doing. :D

6. Both simple and busy are legit styles. Musical maturity is knowing which one to play.

7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Nnnh technically (read this in a high-pitched, nasal voice), bass guitar is not a rhythm instrument because it's capable of producing audible pitches. It is thus possible to play melodies.

Or, in other words: different strokes, see post above.

8. You're absolutely right. We should all be restricted to one model of bass made of an approved type of wood, one type of string, and roots and fifths. Maybe thirds for really complicated stuff, like that newfangled jazz fad.

...oops, sorry. Was that your lawn?

9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Totally depends on context. Sometimes ya just gotta groove and sometimes a little (or a lot of) flash is needed. If you can't tell those situations apart then that's a problem.

10. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    :facepalm: ….here we go again

11. Billybassbeater

Billybassbeater

Jan 7, 2010
    Ona, WV
    Maybe they just feel music different than you do. As long as the groove is still there without distracting from the song, does it matter what road a person takes?

12. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think the bass guitar is a versatile instrument. The main role of bass is to outline the chords. It can be played as a rhythm instrument just playing root notes. It can also be played as a lead instrument. It can also be played everywhere between.

I think these topics say more about the tastes of the poster than the role of bass guitar. Basically, I gather you don't like either the style of music, the sound of those bassists, the look of the instruments, or the talent of those players.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b3.
    QUOTE="Nashrakh, post: 22842457, member: 124502"]different strokes[/QUOTE]
    welcome to TB! :laugh:

something you need to know, JohnnyFlashpan , everyone on this site plays a precision with nice roto 77's and we all hold the groove. some flash, some don't. just sayin'. :D

rollie 55, Jeff Scott, Artman and 3 others like this.
  14. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I was thinking the same thing.

Jeff Scott and Ellery like this.
  15. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    your opinion is just that. an opinion. not everyone wants to be what you think they should be......

rollie 55, Jeff Scott, Artman and 6 others like this.
  16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Flash seems to be relative to the personal tastes of the individual.
    So really, the only "deal" is whether or not you like them.

Jeff Scott, Artman, The Rage and 2 others like this.
  17. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    To do what's best for that group and to serve the song. That will vary from group to group and song to song.

18. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Seems like this post belongs on the FB Group "A group where we all pretend to be Boomers".

segina, Jeff Scott, Need Gigs and 8 others like this.
  19. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

What's the deal with everyone not liking the same things that I do??

dog looking.

OldDog52, Jeff Scott, Artman and 20 others like this.
  20. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Depends on the genre. Current music often has more active bass lines, higher up the neck playing fills and counterpoint. The older stuff has bass in the lower registers doing what bass players have done for millennia.

I’m an old school player, outta MoTown and recognize my space intuitively. That’s not to say that there isn’t a space for the 5-6 stringers who slap and are constantly driving the beat. It’s different music from another/current era.

bedrockhead, jamro217, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.