whats the deal with Iamps, do people actually like them

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaguarcat311, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Title says it all. and why do people like them. the descriptions really sound disgusting to me. seems like you would need an excellent bass in the first place to have a good sound then. all of their eq is voiced towards a scooped sound, which i hate. their speakers have no sound of their own....what a bad concept. celestion vintage 30's arent so sought after because they dont have any sound of their own. iamps will never be 'classics' even if its what they are 'destined' to be. ampeg svt isnt so sought after cause it doesnt have any sound of its own. iamps are solid state anyway, so naturally they wont have the warm and full sound of a tube amp. solid state power sections have got to be the worst.... unless you like white noise. whenever the temperature of a transistor changes, an electron jumps from one side to the other side of the transistor (positive and negative sides), tubes dont have white noise. tube technology is superior to that of solid state, unfortunately not as practical.

thats my view of this. what do other people think. this would make a good preamp for eq, dialing in the sound you like, put it before your amp, and it wouldnt change the sound, just eq. that is a good idea, but a full on amp (and speakers with no sound of their own.) bad.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If people like them, what's the problem? No one is trying to make you buy one.

I've heard Mike Dimin make beautiful music through EA heads and cabs.

That is incorrect. Have you ever tried or heard an iamp?

Note, I'm not an iamp user. And I agree, tube heads/amps have a certain something. But not everyone can schlep around a heavy tube head, I certainly can't as a lot of my gigs require me to use the subway so light/portable wins out for me.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's kind of like saying "vanilla is bad". sure, you might think rocky road is the way to go, but i'm glad there are a bunch of flavors to choose from. ;)
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I have one and I like it very much.
    It is transparent, and has a lot of volume.
    The cabs are very accurate, and full-range.

I play good basses,
    so it sounds good. . .

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I absolutely love mine, it's one of the nicest sounding amps I've owned, and I've owned alot. And you? If you don't like them then don't buy one. :meh:
  6. I don't know what reviews you've read regarding iAmps, but the vast majority of the reviews I have read have been very positive. The statement about the scooped EQ is totally inaccurate.

I have an iAmp 800 which I purchased due to the glowing reviews on TB.
  7. yeah...I agree. why would you want your bass to sound a 100% like your bass!?

stupid idea :rollno:

anyway, to each his own, you don't like hifi? don't spend your money on it

and explain to me why tube tech is superior to ss tech?
  8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Do you feel better now? If not, there's always tomorrow!
  9. didnt i just say no white noise.....also tube amplification tends to sound better than solid state, and tube distortion is the the only distortion i've heard that i liked. also tube radios can pick up radio moscow....whens the last time you heard radio moscow on your radio? solid state is unperfected. between the positive and negative sides of a transistor, there is a valence electron, which is how i explained white noise to you. now if there wasnt that extra electron jumping back and forth... you would have much better sound from solid state. and on the iamp, check out the presets or whatever you call them....bass boost, low mid cut, high mid cut, and treble boost......also low and high eq has 14 db +/- gain whereas upper and lower mid only has 8 db +/-. i feel the mids are being discriminated against. and im not just saying that these amps suck, i wont buy one you dont have to tell me not to, im just asking why people like them, and telling why i dont like them and what i see wrong with them.
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Have you actually heard one? If you have, fair enough, but to dislike something because of what you're read about seems silly to me. I do use a solid state head, the Thunderfunk. As long as I like the end sound I don't care how it's achieved.
    The presets are for a number of eq shapes that people commonly use, and just because a preset is there doesn't mean it has to be used.

That is incorrect, the iamp800/500/200 are +/- 18db on all four bands
  11. Did you say ampeg SVT's arent sought after because they dont have thier own sound?

Have you heard a PROPER (aka 70's or late 60's ) SVT? , or are you compairing to modern SVT's? have you even played them, or are you just being a complete pri*k ?
  12. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Lets all just take a chill and try to get along. EA for some, and Tubes for others. One mans Crate is another mans Eden.
    BTW, I hope everyone has a great 4th of July! :)
  13. I don't even know where to start. This is really a rather silly argument.

Tube circuits make plenty of noise through their own mechanisms.

Solid state amps have vastly superior damping factors than tube amps, and an enormous advantage when high power is required on ported cabs. Seen many high powered tube amps? Thousand watts or so? Not many.

IM and THD distortion have reached levels unheard of in the tube era. Practically unmeasureable now. Tubes are preferred by some (especially guitar players) because they LIKE the way they DISTORT.

Lots of people find solid state amps perfectly acceptable, others who like "tubes" get plenty of "tube warmth" in a preamp, then go to SS power.

Tubes and SS are simply 2 different ways to skin the same cat. They both have adv and disadv to each other under different circumstances. But claiming tube technology is superior? That's laughable. IF that's true, where did all the tube amps go? Why is SS dominant nearly everywhere? You have a few niche markets for tubes, some guitar and bass amps, the hi-fi tube bigots, the same people who also tend to believe in magical qualities for cables that defy the laws of physics, so their belief in the Tube Fairy is hardly conclusive evidence of anything.

There are great sounding tube amps, great sounding SS amps, and examples of both that also sound like crap.

People who like vintage sounds like Pbasses and SVT's cause that's what was used to make those vintage sounds. Period. Not because they were somehow superior to what's out on the market today. People who like a modern hifi sound tend toward modern hifi equipment. This is all personal taste stuff. Not hard science.

Claiming some sort of mythical advantage to tubes vs SS, dissing this particular amp when you haven't even bothered to try it, based on specious arguments, what's the point of asking about it anyway? You've already made up your mind. Is this a tube vs ss post, or a request for opinions about the Iamp?

Iamp and SVT are two great, and totally dissimilar amps, using different technologies, geared toward different audiences, engineered to solve different goals, different sounds.

14. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Very well said :cool:
  15. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Having played bass guitar for 19 years now and having owned virtually every type of amplifier and cabinet combination, I am now playing through an Iamp 800 and through EA cabinets for several reasons.
    1. The Iamp has a totally full and warm tone that I can shape any way that I want or (best of all) not at all! My Iamp has a significantly lower noise floor than my previous tube preamp and has a warmer tone across the board.
    2. The cabinets are brilliantly designed to faithfully reproduce whatever tone I put through them with my basses, amp and effects. They sound however I want them to for whatever needs I have.
    3. The Iamp cranks as loud as my old pre/power rack system and only weighs 19lbs. With a hand truck, I now load in and out in one trip. Two basses, amp, two cabs, and gig bag in one easy, modular package. Try that with an SVT rig.
    4. Most importantly, I think I sound better than I ever have before and that's all that really matters.

EA gear is designed for people to get whatever sound out of it they want through the use of their instruments, amp eq sections, effects, etc.
    For me, this is what I've been looking for for a LONG time.

To each their own but I'd recommend that you find some EA gear, play through it for more than a couple of minutes, then express some informed opinions.
  16. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Well, looking at this guys profile, and considering his age and his equipment he uses, just take his comment with a grain of salt.
  17. How did that inferior Solid State Bartolini onboard preamp manage to sneak itself in?
  18. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just one thing.. Try a Thunderfunk (Desendent of the old AMP and Gibson version), Ashdown or Mesa BB750/M-Pulse.

All SS power sections (TF is all SS) and some of the warmest amps around (There's more than that, but just some good examples).

You just have to realise that times are changing. Not all bassists want a muddy SVT that won't be heard on stage anymore. Some want clarity and articulation for their sound, or a zingy top end for slapping.

The thing with the iAmps is to get the sound of your bass out through your speakers. Look at all the boutique bass's that are around today, wouldn't it be a shame to lose their sound, which you just payed alot of money to get, through an amp that colours it too much?

It's all different strokes.
  19. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I just traded my Zon sonus for an iamp 800, waiting for it to come in any day now :hyper: . We both have the option of trading back, I don't want someone to be unhappy with a trade, but I'm really hoping he likes my bass so I can keep the iamp. I have a variety of cabs I'll be running it through, I need to do some searches here and read everyone's iamp comments/suggestions. Next on my list is to trade something I own for a sadowsky, can't take the TB hype anymore about them and need to see for myself :D
  20. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's just subjective. What is perfect? What sounds good? what sounds bad? Different people like different things and obviously some people want to hear the sound of their bass, not the colour of the amp. The iAmp's are also very versatile amps.

I'm not being an ass, i'm very much a fan of tubes (heck, I have 400watts of em) but I do see why people like SS so much.

Hey, i'm 2 years younger than him :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.