Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the deal with jazz bass pickup spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've noticed that some jazz basses have a neck pickup closer to the bridge than most others. Was there a certain time period when they were changed? How much different is the sound?

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    During the 70's the pickup spacing changed. I think it was 3'' closer o the bridge which created a "brighter sound. Not exactly sure when this happened, but probably around '75 (I guess this is the reason for the reissue). During the 80's, since there was only 1 "real" jazz bass. The spacing returned to where it is today.

3. Basically it resulted in a slightly thinner, growlier sound. I can't imagine that there would be a huge difference, but definitely something you could hear. I'm not sure if the 75 reissues have this pickup config, but the change occured sometime in the 70s.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    MIA 75R.I. does have the pup closer to the bridge, MIJ 75R.I. don't. My Geddy Lee bass also has the pup closer to the bridge, and what's that a 72,73 R.I.?