1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the deal with my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Marquez, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Steve Marquez

Steve Marquez

Feb 20, 2012
    Hello Talkbass,

This is the first post of my life. I've been playing bass with my church for almost 3 years and a couple of my friends and I jam together fairly often. I also just upgraded my dean starter bass to 2011 mim fender jazz bass. It's freakin sweet!!

But something has really gone wrong with my amp, which is an acoustic b100. I was jamming pretty hard with my amigos a number of months ago and I didn't feel I was loud enough, so being an ignorant teen, I turned the volume and gain pretty much all the way up. On the last note of the song I noticed the little red clip light was on and realized that it sounded horrible. It's seems like its blown but I'm not sure exactly what a blown anything sounds like, so I've decided to ask for the expertise of you fine ladies and gentlemen.

It sounds really distorted all the time, and when I play high notes the volume will just cut off and then within a second or two the note will ring again but super crackly and distorted. I just would like to know if anyone has any clues as to what it might be and if it is repairable.

Thanks, Steve.

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Sounds like a blown speaker to me. Welcome to the world of bass. ;)

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yup, me too

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

yuppers

5. Most definately a blown speaker... not the amp... You need :help:

6. Steve Marquez

Steve Marquez

Feb 20, 2012
    Thanks Yalls!!

How do you suggest I go about fixing this? Do you think GC could help me out?

7. They would be about the only ones for factory replacements as that is their house brand. :)

8. It does describe a blown speaker, except for this part:

I've never heard a blown speaker turn on and off like that. Plus, the combo is unlikely to generate enough power to blow it's own speaker. Could be a loose connection somewhere.

9. Except it is a G.C. Acoustic "brand". I can't see them using a speaker that would do anything but handle "normal" use.

10. Yeah, but still, I can't see them selling something that would generate lots of warranty nonsense. I'm betting it's a loose connection.