1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the deal with schecters?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I've tried a search, and even had a look on the megathread, but can't find what I'm looking for.

My local (new) guitar shop has loads of these in at around $600 - $700. Are they comparable to other $600 basses? They look really smart, don't know how they play though (can't try one as the salemen will pounce... :scowl: ).

I know it will feel completely different to a CIJ Fender, but will the quality be similar? Am about to buy a 75RI Jazz (Japan) :D

2. I don't think Schecters are comparable in sound or feel to a Fender, at least none of the ones I've played

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Different animal. They're more of a rocker bass.

4. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Thanks guys - I meant quality not feel...

5. I reckon a Japanese Fender would be better

6. Had a Schecter C5. Great bass. I paid <$500 new, and it was my main bass for a while. I sold it to buy a SR5HH.

Obviously, everybody has different tastes. But the Schecters are well made, nice playing basses.

7. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Not sure about their basses, but Schecter guitars generally have a good reputation. I have an Omen 6 (about $300) and it's a real nice sounding guitar for the money. I know several people who have the C1's (about $700) and like them a lot. I would assume their basses are probably decent too, but I wouldn't buy one without trying it out first.

Are you sure they won't let you try it out at the shop? I've never heard of a music store that won't let you try out instruments before... How do they expect to sell anything like that?

8. My local GC has a Shecter 4 neckthru, the model with the bound fretboard. One of the employees handed it to me and said try this, it's the best bass in the store. Sure enough, it had a great feel, awesome setup and sounded fantastic. The tag said $599 and he said they could do MUCH better. I was very suprised!!

9. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I had a Schecter Elite 4 with a neck thru body, and it was one of the nicest feeling and playing basses I have ever played. I currently own a MIA P Bass, a MIA Jazz, a MIJ Jazz and a Schecter Model T. I also owned an Ibanez SR506, a Peavey T40 and a Gibson EB-O, so I have had a few different basses for comparison.

The Elite 4 didn't have the sound I wanted, which was the only reason I sold it. It felt and played great. I have owned several Schecter 6 and 7 string guitars, and the quality is superb.

The Model T is probably all I need now, but I have a thing about Fenders, so I will keep my Jazzes and my P Bass, but the quality of the Schecter is comparable IMO. If you look online, there are stories about how Schecter searched to find the facilites that manufacture their current models, and how they do the final work at their plant in California.

JMO, albeit one of a happy Schecter owner.

By the way, the internet has lots of great Schecter basses at good prices, and you can still find them in pawn shops. Music stores will discount them too. MF has good prices on them from time to time.

10. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    Model T is definitely good bass worth more than twice you can get it for (around 400USD it sureness 2nd hand)

Nothing looks cheap on it, I think its comparable to Lakland Skyline

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Different all together. That being said, these days I'm choosing to gig with my Korean made Schecter Elite 5 over my MIA Fender Jazz V deluxe. So go figure.
    You should still consider the 75RI Jazz first though. Everybody needs a Fender Jazz in the collection.

12. I have a Model T that I would never part with. A good, solid guitar. Mine has the EMG pickups instead of the current stock Basslines pickups. I added a Hipshot D-tuner and it totally rocks!

Happy Schecter owner!:bassist:

13. if it is the black and maple fingerboard one,i hate you.:D

14. Awwwww.........we can still be friends! It has rosewood. :)

the_rig_2005.

15. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    The neckthru schecters are really fine basses. I have not played a t-40, so cant say. The newer ones dont hold their value well though.

16. I've been impressed with both Schecters I've owned. The Custom 4 is an excellent axe, just wasn't my sound.

The Diamond J is better than the MIM Fender Jazzes maybe not quite up there with some of the MIA's.

Both are very well crafted and assembled.

17. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I love the build quality and feel of my Schecter Elite 4. It's seriously an amazing bass for the price I paid ($400). Sadly I can't get the sound I want from it, so I'm leaning more towards a P bass at the moment. I'll never sell the Schecter though. I plan on throwing a new preamp in it to see if I can get more of the sound I'm looking for.

18. I love my schecter, the sound, the feel, the look. I'm actually headed back later this week to pick up a second one.

19. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    My buddy just got his custom Schector after waiting 6 months and they made it the wrong color (he was very disappointed, but he still likes the sunburst anyways)

It is definitely a nice bass, but I wouldn't trade any of mine for it.

Also when it showed up, the price was $300 more than they had quoted, and they did not communicate this with him until he had to pay the bill, ...not cool IMO

Yes...they are very nice....

20. GearGod

GearGod

Aug 10, 2006
    Akron, Ohio
    I have a 2005 Shecter Studio-5, and it is assembled incredibly! ROCK SOLID! The fit and finish is superb, and the hardware is very nice quality. Stays in tune for weeks, sounds fantastic, and the controls are quiet and smooth. I would say this is everything one could ask of a $650 bass.