Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the deal with the Fender Am. Deluxe Jazz w/"large pole" pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Thinker, May 30, 2005.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    How are these? I'm looking at a 1998 American Deluxe Jazz. Search turned up nothing on the "large pole" version. Any difference soundwise in these basses due to different pickups/preamps?

Thanks!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The bass in which you question has pups and electronics by John Suhr. Suhr worked on R&D for Fender up until 98 and it was his design that that bass has, by the way I have a 98 dlx jazz with the same pups and electronics. 99 basses came out with "noiseless" pups and probably a different pre amp, I wa not impressed when I heard that bass and liked the way mine sounded more. Today the dlx basses carry "Samarium Cobalt Noiseless" pups designed by Bill Lawrence (Roscoe Beck pups) and I think they are the best pups to date put in any Fender bass!

3. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, great info--thanks!

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For a short period I owned a '99 or '00 "Noiseless" pickup'ed MIA Dlx Jazz.

I currently own a '98 "large pole" MIA Dlx Jazz and I think the sound is a bit more natural. It really is preference. The preamp on this has less power and the sound is a bit less modern sounding. It has bite, but not the same as the Noiseless's. I think it gives more of a true "jazz bass" tone. I love it!

Now hopefully I didn't confused you even more -- in short:

I prefer the "large pole" pickups over the '99 Noiseless's and haven't tried the new '04's so I can't comment.

5. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not confusing at all--quite helpful, in fact. Your thoughts on the '98 are similar to my impressions--pretty close to the classic jazz bass sound when flat, strong midrange with a lot of harmonic content.

By the way, I bought the bass! :cool:

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bass player did a review that year and opened up those picups. They are dual coil like a "P" bass pickup, one coil for the E and A, one for the D and G, except right side by side not staggered like a "P" bass. Brilliant humbucking solution IMO in a traditional jazz shape.