What's the deal with the Fender Am. Deluxe Jazz w/"large pole" pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Thinker, May 30, 2005.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    How are these? I'm looking at a 1998 American Deluxe Jazz. Search turned up nothing on the "large pole" version. Any difference soundwise in these basses due to different pickups/preamps?

2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The bass in which you question has pups and electronics by John Suhr. Suhr worked on R&D for Fender up until 98 and it was his design that that bass has, by the way I have a 98 dlx jazz with the same pups and electronics. 99 basses came out with "noiseless" pups and probably a different pre amp, I wa not impressed when I heard that bass and liked the way mine sounded more. Today the dlx basses carry "Samarium Cobalt Noiseless" pups designed by Bill Lawrence (Roscoe Beck pups) and I think they are the best pups to date put in any Fender bass!
  3. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, great info--thanks!
  4. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For a short period I owned a '99 or '00 "Noiseless" pickup'ed MIA Dlx Jazz.

I currently own a '98 "large pole" MIA Dlx Jazz and I think the sound is a bit more natural. It really is preference. The preamp on this has less power and the sound is a bit less modern sounding. It has bite, but not the same as the Noiseless's. I think it gives more of a true "jazz bass" tone. I love it!

Now hopefully I didn't confused you even more -- in short:

I prefer the "large pole" pickups over the '99 Noiseless's and haven't tried the new '04's so I can't comment.
  5. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not confusing at all--quite helpful, in fact. Your thoughts on the '98 are similar to my impressions--pretty close to the classic jazz bass sound when flat, strong midrange with a lot of harmonic content.

By the way, I bought the bass! :cool:
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bass player did a review that year and opened up those picups. They are dual coil like a "P" bass pickup, one coil for the E and A, one for the D and G, except right side by side not staggered like a "P" bass. Brilliant humbucking solution IMO in a traditional jazz shape.