What's the deal with the Ibanez SRX basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katalyzt13, Jul 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Good Basses

70.0%
  2. Meh Basses

18.8%
  3. Piece of (*&%&*^$

2.5%
  4. Carrots and/or Tort

8.8%
  1. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Anyone switch out the preamp for an,aftermarket one? If so, which one and how did it improve the sound?

2. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I got the SRX 2ex1 used for $179+ tax at the Sam Ash. It was a super good deal for what you get. The neck is very slim and thin good for beginners and people who like to speed around on the neck. The preamp is 2 band and the electronics and pickups sound great. The position of the rear humbucker is close to the bridge and gives a unique sound. The hardware is a step above the entry level stuff and it holds tune really well and neck was stable.
    It records well going direct, and has enough power to get some overdrive tone.

However, I sold it for $200 as the neck was a little to thin for my hands.

3. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    It could only be an improvement haha! My friend is putting a Fender two-band in one soon. I'll report back.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Carol Kaye rocks out with one. SRX500

Screen shot 2017-02-28 at 8.53.50 PM.png

whero and toowrongfoo like this.
  5. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    That looks like the neck-through 700

lowdownthump and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    when they first came out in 2002, the nut width and 1st fret thickness were the same as SR necks. only .5mm thicker at 12th fret.
    15.jpg
    24.jpg

ERIC31 and Treebeard like this.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Oops..You're right.

8. I always thought the indent thumb rest built into the pickups was cool. At that time I had never seen that before.

ERIC31 likes this.
  9. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Really loud and mean sounding basses. I wish Ibanez would give them a premium or prestige makeover.

I had a limited edition cherry blossom model and sold it like an idiot. If you want a MM like sound with a slim neck, this is your bass.

10. Brent Davenport

Brent Davenport

Feb 20, 2018
    I found one for $250. IF I get another bass, it'll be on a budget. I already have too many hobbies. Fishing, building custom fishing rods, etc. I just got a Jon boat and she thinks I should spend any extra money on fishing stuff (and I'm complaining WHY???).

11. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I owned an SRX2EX and an SRX390DX (or some such) and an SRX700. The bolt-ons felt closer to the modern SRs while the neck-thru 700 was heavier and with a slightly bigger neck. All played very well. And if you like that hot, mid-forward pup sound similar to the G&L you'll like the tone. They were excellent for hard rock and metal but could be toned down for country or top 40. Hell ... Carol Kaye played the SRX700 for years and she could get anything out of em.
    They are all very well made instruments IME.

For me, though, I found I preferred the more flexible SRs.

12. I have 2 srx505tk's, a 2002 (my first 5er) and a 2004. I love the sound and feel of them and wish Ibanez would reintroduce them, or at least make something close to them again.
    I say if it's in good-decent, working condition, and you like the sound, go for it

Treebeard likes this.
  13. DoubleB

DoubleB

Jun 7, 2018
    WOW... I'm interested in this exact bass... a guy has one in excellent condition (he has too many basses) and this one he rarely used. My intention was to buy this bass and make it fret-less... and just now stumbled over your comment/photo! VERY NICE FRETLESS, exactly what I wanted to do! Did you stain the neck darker? May I ask a few pointers from you?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I have a SRX3EXQM1 that I defreted. It was an ok fretted bass, it’s not a great fretless, but I think it is better fretless than it was as a fretted. Hot pickups help. Yes, the hardware is well pitted and ugly, but it still works fine.

15. DoubleB

DoubleB

Jun 7, 2018
    Interesting... a buddy had a Gretsch Junior Jet 2202 and the metal plate on the back pitted... and one of the strap button screws stripped. So I guess some metal hardware can be cheap on the mid to low ends models of brands?

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    No doubt. The hardware on my bass is kind of chrome black, so it has a plating onthe outside, that is what is peeling and pitting.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Treebeard likes this.
  17. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
  18. DoubleB

DoubleB

Jun 7, 2018
  19. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    MINOR imperfection???

20. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Holy smokes didn't even see that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021