1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Runlikegregg, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    How can Mike Lull make a custom P bass for like $2500 but a Lakland and a Fender Custom Shop cost like $3300?
    Is it just that the latter are bigger companies with more overhead? Name recognition?

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Who knows.. I say just be glad we're able to get such a superb instrument for that price! A Lull P5 is on my G.A.S. list. I was able to get this for under 2 grand.

lull1a.

3. I read this and thought "I have no idea, I have never played a Lull".. and that's probably your answer. I know what I will get when I buy a Lakland or Fender CS. I don't know what I will get when I get a Lull, and I am not going to throw $3300 as a shot in the dark.

One other thing is that both of the brands you mentioned have lower cost lines to try and get you hooked on the brand before spending thousands (Lakland Skylines and Fender Squier, MIM, MIA, etc.).

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I can relate to this. I have a Lakland Skyline 55-64 that's a great bass and I really like it. So much in fact that I'd really like to get a Skyline 55-AJ.

DSCN0068_zps315addc3.

The only reason I'm still thinking of pursuing a Lull P5 is 1) past experience with my M5V and how good it sounds and plays, 2) more options; BEM fretboard, colors, etc. & 3) Lighter weight.

5. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    your suppose to pay less for a copy.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Nice troll. :)

7. TIL: Lakland Skylines are lower cost. :p They rival MIA Fenders for price, while Squiers/MIMs are really inexpensive.

Tell that to all the "boutique" Fender-style builders...

8. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    When trying to be sassy make sure you are using the correct "you're"

9. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008

that doesn't even make sense.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Please don't feed the troll.

Attached Files:

11. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    This is off-topic, but when I saw the OP title, I immediately thought of Jerry Seinfeld saying "WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH (___)?"

:bag:

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wrong. You KNOW with a Lull you're getting a superbly crafted instrument with fit finish and attention to detail that rivals the brands you mentioned, from a dude in the game long enough, with reputation to spare, who is more than qualified to make a p. Or j copy. Feel is subjective and never guaranteed with any brand to please everyone. I live within an hour-half drive of zome good shops and id not say I've seen so many Fender CS offerings or Laklands to qualify the opinion that they have any more a guaranteed consistency than the few Lulls I have played.(which were great, btw....)

13. I would love a Mike Lull T-bird. This may differ more than the p's and j's but aesthetically it is more pleasing. Little things like a better bridge, chrome hardware, chrome pup covers etc make a huge difference.

I did play a Lull J at Chicago Music Exchange and it was like a dream. It simply was a nicer bass than the Fender's that I played that day. I am not a Fender fan but Apples to apples the Lull is worth every penny.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    $3040 for a Lakland P, not $3300, according to a couple sites I checked.

Fender CS is all over the map, but their prices have generally gone up quite a lot in recent years.

Not sure why a Lull P bass is cheaper. Then again, I'm not sure why a Lull T bird runs $3600-$4000.

I do know I greatly prefer US Lakland necks to Lull necks. Not sure if it's a quality thing or just simple preference. Lulls have flatter radiuses (radii?), which my left hand doesn't seem to like.

15. Today you learned that Skylines cost end customers less money to purchase than a Lakland USA or a Mike Lull? I'm not speaking to the value of the instrument. These brands have price entry points that more people can afford. For instance, many teenagers start with a squier or MIM, and when it's time for an upgrade and they've got more cash to play with, they already know the Fender name.

Feel and tone are subjective, which is exactly my point. I know what a Fender feels like and what a Lakland feels like. I don't know what a Mike Lull feels like. I know what Fender and Lakland are like because I can go play one at a buddy's, my local big box music store, see them out on stage at the bars, listen to them on my favorite records, etc. If I had never read this forum, Mike Lull basses wouldn't ever be on my radar (and they still barely are).

I'm not speaking whatsoever of the quality of the instrument, but these things add up to less demand... and maybe one of the reasons you find a Lull so great is that the lower demand allows more hands on care and attention to detail that mass production would not?

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So what if Mike's basses are superior in quality to the others you mention?

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Okay but the issue at hand from the OP is how come these bigger names are charging almost a grand more than the little guy is charging? The only reason he's not on your radar is not because of any less quality but because of brand recognition based solely on lack of advertising... Is that upwards of $800 to $1000 REALLY guaranteeing you a better bass, Or more consistent bass, or is it just perceived because you know the name, and therefore justifies the extra money? There are builders on here building bass that cost sometimes half of what Fender CS is asking that fly circles around any Fender or Lakland. But they're somehow screwed because they can't drop 4 grand a month for ads in bass player?

18. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lull's reputable reputation speaks for itself
    You will get a superbly built instrument with a great sound
    Now the feel may and sound may not be to your taste but that is not a quality issue
    Same with USA Laklands and I am sure the same with Sadowsky and other high end basses.

My own experience with LaklandSkyline is a little hit or miss

My experience with Fender is a whole lot if hit or miss...mostly misses

Just my opinion

19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ignore this advice. We like pizza. And pies. And pizza pies.

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    There are plenty of people out there who have never played a USA Lakland OR a Mike Lull OR a Fender Custom Shop. I'm one of those apparently rare guys who has played Laklands and Mike Lulls and never a Fender Custom Shop. Go figure...

I don't know why a Lull is less than a Lakland. I kinda' sorta' don't care. I'll let them worry about what they charge, then when I buy, I'll purchase the bass I like the best that is in my price range. Pretty simple stuff.