1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the Deal?!??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So. I got my DB750 last week. I gigged it; and used it for practices. Then, on Monday, I brought it home. I got my new cables (Bayou Cables are the shiznit BTW) and was going to test everything out in my bedroom before heading to the airport (I'm in San Diego for break).

I plugged everything in, tuned up the Bongo, and flipped the power switch.

...everything black. Power went out to my room. I went to the garage and flipped the breaker, and went back to my room to try it again. Same thing. I unplugged every electrical appliance in my room (which was a whopping two) and tried again... everything dead.

Anyone know how to deal with this? I've only had this happen once before and it was because I took a fuse out of a head while it was turned on (don't ask why, I was an idiot).

Would a power conditioner help at all?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Your room circuit is probably shared with a couple of other rooms.
    And the amp probably doesn't have a soft start, and thus draws a lot of current and blows the breaker. When the breaker blows, things in other rooms must be also turning off, try unplugging those.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It was just my room, which from what I've gathered - is on its own circuit. I'm not an electrical mastermind or anything.

Also, when it draws a lot of current on the start - is that a "spike?"

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's cool, you just blew a breaker in the house. The DB750 does have a pretty substantial start-up current surge. The lights dim at my house whenever I turn mine on. Just throw the switch a little slower.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, this is not an uncommon problem with the 750. Aguilar recently added this little black thing, can't remember what Dave Boonshoft told me it was called, but it gives the amp a much slower pull of initial power. They put it in place a few months ago because of problems in the European market. It's looks to be a very simple mod that I would think anyone could do. Give Aguilar a call and I'm sure they'll tell you all about it.