What's the diff. between diatonic an chromatic

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Well first off, I am not sure how they are spelled, second, what is the difference? Tell me if I'm wrong, but are diatonic pieces mainly based on scales and chromatic pieces are based on chords? Hey....... Wait up I just saw something, "di" means two right? And tonic means root (I think...). Anyways, does that mean in diatonic songs there are two roots?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    C D E F G A B is a diatonic scale
    C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B is a chromatic scale
    In other words... diatonic would be the seven tones of a major or minor scale.
    Chromatic is all twelve semitones of the octave.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    diatonic = within the key signature

chromatic = not within the key signature
  4. Don't make fun of me, but what's a key signature?
  5. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    The key the song is in is the key signature.

(like most classic rock songs are in the key E)

6. And a flattened 3rd is a 2nd right? Dude all that s*** is way over my head!
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The key signature is the sharps or flats at the beginning of a piece of music that identifies the key.

A flattened 3rd is not a 2nd. A flattend 3rd would be the note between the 2nd and the 3rd.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  9. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Uh, no. And no.

You have 543 posts, and don't know what a scale is. Maybe your time would be spent more productively here:

or here:

Just a suggestion.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Less Claypool and Claypool gear questions, more lessons and practice! Yikes.

BTW, if you don't know what a scale is, it's likely you don't know what in tune is, either. Ear training and theory...good things.
  11. What? Did you even answer my question? Of course I know what in tune is! And besides, Les doesn't even USE ANY piece of equiptment that I have, in fact he is using an Ampeg SVT, now who has THAT?:rolleyes:
  12. Well, when I thought he was talking about a frettless it was because if a 2nd is 2 frets up from the root note, and a 3rd is 3 frets up, how can a flattened (brought down by 1 fret) 3rd not be a 2nd withought being in between, which you can do on a frettless.

PS I do read the theory posts, but most of it doesn't make sense and I don't know the lingo.

And I have read Wheat's Bass book!

And I do know what a scale is.
  13. Oh wait, never mind, I was wrong of course. A 3rd is 4 frets higher than the root right?
  14. wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    key signature is the grouping of sharps# or flats b at the beggining of a piece of music tells you what key song is in.wynnguitars@aol.com
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thinking in terms of frets may not be the most constructive way of thinking of it, but, a major 3rd is 4 frets from the root, a minor 3rd is 3 frets.

As an example:

G to a major 3rd is B
    G to a minor 3rd is Bb.
  16. Well I usually play a major third on the next string over, example, if I play a D on the A string, I'll play the F# on the D string.

Ok, another thing, would you say it's better to learn a scale going across the strings or going up the string, for me, I find it easier to go across the strings, but if I need to go up the strings, it gets a little more difficult because I still don't hve quick recognition of what the notes name is on each different fret. But I go to Wheat's Bass Book every day to learn new scales, now I just need to knw when to use them :D!
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh yes, I would like to make it abundantly clear that I don't advocate thinking of intervals the way I stated in my previous post. :) :) :)
  18. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Geez cut the guy some slack.

19. Hey thanks for making fun of me, makes me feel special. Anyways, could you tell me what hearing different harmony means? And second, I havn't asked a Claypool gear quesion in a long time, but I still find equipment interesting. I like to ask questions and stuff like that. ? I know I know I need to learn more theory, and how to read notation, I'm working on that. I'm working on notation through a Mel Bay book.