Whats the diff. between these two brands of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Is there a significant difference between an actual Fender bass and a Squire bass? Like quality or anything? And could I just put a set of good strings, good quality pickups and a bridge on a Squire and it be just as good as a Fender?
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I imagine the most direct answer is NO, they are not the same bass. Quality of construction and sound being the two major differences.

I dont think even doing all that stuff too it will make it sound, and play like a Fender. From my limited experience and reading, your better off getting yourself a Made in Mexico Fender over the Squier.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Squire Basses are Fenders cheapest line of basses. They are made in Korea in factories from the cheapest parts.

Next up in the quality stakes are the Mexican Fenders (which are also of so-so quality), followed by the Japanese Fenders and then the US Fenders.

Just changing the pickups and bridge in a Squire will not make it as good as a Fender because the body woods and constructions quality may be different. Fender is a pretty large brand with a lot of different lines though, so you might get close to a Mexican Fender by doing it, but you wont be anywhere near a US Custom Shop Fender.

If you can, I'd get a used US Fender or a Japan Fender - otherwise look into the SX range from Rondo music.
  4. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Like everyone else said dooing all that stuff to a squire wont get you anywhere it probably wont even get you close to a MIM Fender and also strings wouldnt really make a difference.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    On the other hand, if you walk around to a few music stores and you find a Squire that feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears, then go for it. There is no rule that says that an inexpensive bass can't make you happy.
  6. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    My first bass made me happy but that doesnt mean its nota piece of **** ;)
  7. I wouldn't say the US fenders are better than the japanese ones, imo the quality is the same but they are a bit different
  8. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    The USA Fenders are WAY!! better than the MIJ Fenders The Japanese ones are only a very very small step up from the Mexicans.
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I disagree. I have owned two MIJ basses and they were incredible basses. Sweeping statements likes these are generally incorrect. It is much better to judge each bass on its own merit.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, I had an MIJ P a few years back and I still regret selling it.
  11. Nonsense (IMHO of course), I've never played a bad MIJ OTOH i did try out a few bad MIAs (of course i tried more MIA bsases than MIJ basses, as they are more readily available)
  12. I have played and AMERICAN Jazz Bass and a Made in JAPAN Marcus Miller and personally, in my opinion, I like the marcus miller better then the USA Standard Fender, It's more versatile i like the tone of it about the same i like the neck and the feel better. So I'd say Japan and U.S are close. your just thinking of the Highway 1 basses which are a small step above mexican. Thats my 2 vents not meant to offend

And onn with the subject
    As others said the major differences are Squires get basically all the "LOW" quality woods, electronics and pickups the neck usually warps quickly and the wood doesnt sound as good as it should
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I sorry, but that's is just wrong. Too much proof otherwise has been offered and my personal experience says that is not true.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Squier. It's spelled Squier.
  15. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    My first bass was a MIJ Jazz bass and in my OPINION it was no better than the MIM Jazz bases I played at GC and it didnt even compare to the MIA Jazz bases .
  16. Good eye Munj, must be the sun glasses. It got right by me.

17. Not to hijack the thread, but I've played some crummy MIJs and some that might as well have been MIA. Remember that they have many differently priced basses in their MIJ line, from cheaper basses to pretty expensive ones.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree as well. I had a chance to play a Marcus Miller sig. model and whoo boy was that one hell of a nicely made bass! I scanned that thing from top to bottom looking for even the slightest flaw and found nothing! The neck, playability, sound and Badass bridge totally wowed me! I almost traded my Lakland for it! I've also played quite a few MIA models and none had the impact of the MM model. Even the Sting and Geddy Lee models were pretty damn nice! (I'd have to put a Badass bridge on the Sting though. Hate that piece of crap bridge on there)! Squiers are really nice beginners instruments (espescially the basses) but are clearly not pro quality! The guitars I would put in a different class. My guitarist plays one and makes that thing sing like a mofo! Yeah, you can do some upgrading on the basses but you still have the body and neck to contend with!
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My experience is just the opposite.

When I was looking for a 4 string Jazz, I played 20 or so Americans, and probably close to 100 MIMs, at several stores in the area.

None of them really grabbed me, and I decided not to get a Jazz bass.

A few days after I decided not to get one, I walked in my local mom & pop store and saw a tuxedo finish Jazz with black neck blocks.

I have always been a sucker for that look, so I pulled it down and plugged it in, fully expecting to put it back up a few minutes later.

That bass had the tone, and the feel, that I had in mind when I started looking for a Jazz.

When I asked how much it was, the clerk said 'What, that Geddy Lee Jazz?' I did not know that there was a Geddy Lee signature model, but the bass blew me away so much, that I would have bought it even if it said 'Mark Hoppus' on the headstock. When I found out it was $300 less than any of the American J basses I had tried, I couldn't believe it.
  20. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Way too much emphasis about quality is being placed on where these basses are being made.

The REAL truth is that there are gems and lemons from ALL places.

I played so many MIA and MIM Precisions and Jazzes for weeks and weeks, looking for just the right one. Not once did I look at the headstock to determine whether or not they qualified. I simply played them, and played them and played them.

After a few weeks I settled on three. Two Precisions and one Jazz. I finally settled on two Precisions. The defining moment came when I realized a flaw in the neck on one of them. The tone was not as good as the other either.

So I made the choice. The choice came down to a $300 MIM and a $600 MIA.

The MIA was the one with a slight flaw in the neck. The insert on the back had shrunk and was recessed a bit, which I found annoying. Plus it did not quite sound as good as the MIM.

I actually had second thoughts about buying the MIM over an MIA...for no other reason than where they were made. Thankfully I got over it and kept an extra $300. The bass I have now is the best one out of over 20 Precisions and Jazzes I played. An MIM. Go figure.

Funny thing is, I went back to the stores later on and checked them out. All but three were MIA's and most of them I discarded for various reasons of tone, playability and lack of quality. Without even checking where they were made I tossed aside MIA's not even knowing they were MIA's.

I got the best one, but had I relied on the stereotype of MIA's, MIM's, etc. the best one would have gotten away from me.

Play the hell out of all of them before you choose and ignore the so called expert's advice about quality being determined by where they are made. They are generalizing and nothing more.

To answer the original poster's question...you may find that one truly good Squier that just feels right to you. By all means, buy it and forget what any of us have to say. We aren't the ones playing it.