1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the difference between 2band and 3band eq?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jun 20, 2007.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Hope it dont sound stupid, but can someone answer me question?

2. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    sure... 2 band is usually just bass and treble (2) nd 3 band is usually bass, mids, and treble (3)

Not a dumb question anyway and probably not an easy one to search and answer for either

3. Slapped

Slapped Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    A 2 band has bass and treble whereas a 3 band has bass, mids, and treble.

Edit- beaten. :(

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    o okay thanks. So in general, 3band eq bass = better than 2band eq bass eh, say if theyre of smilar model

5. Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Basically. More tone opportunities is always a good thing. :D

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    i heard that aguilar's 2 band sounds better than their 3 band.

OBP2 > OBP3

7. Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I want my mids, darn it!

8. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    3 band EQs are great if you slap.

9. It's not quite that simple IMO. For example, with the Aguilar pre's, the three band OB-3 has the treble and low end voiced higher and lower than the OB-1 two band, I assume to 'make room' for the switchable mid band (the OB-2 is basically an OB-3 without the mid control). I greatly prefer the tighter tone of the OB-1.

Also, some find the mid controls of some three band pre's (like the Pope pre in the Fodera's) to sound a little too 'peaky' when boosted, and too wide to really use for a 'slap scoop' mid cut that still punches through a mix.

Personally, I prefer a simple two band with relatively tight voicing (i.e., the classic 40hz/4K frequencies). I find that using the pickup balance control results in a smoother, more natural way to add mids (by slightly favoring the bridge pickup), or to widen the tone for slapping (by centering the balance control).

The only exception to the above for me personally is the MTD USA preamp (a very customized Bartolini circuit). The three way switchable mid control is the most useful I've experienced.... 250 to add punch to the bridge pickup tone, 1K to cut a little honk when slapping (at least with some wood combinations and rigs), and 500, which emulates a more standard mid voicing of most fixed circuits, and adds some general fingerstyle playing girth to the tone. Pretty darn nice!

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No, 3 band doesn't automatically mean better, just different.
    And sometimes you have to be careful of cranking the mid and bass up at the same time, because it can overdrive the input of the amp causing unwanted distortion.

Every brand of active bass I've ever owned I've always preferred a 2 band eq when possible.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    The difference is 1 band

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021