What's the difference between a Fender Jazz and a Fender Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Nov 30, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I don't know the difference. Is it the tone? The neck size? The Pick Ups? I just don't know. Can some of you experts help me? I'm about to buy a Fender tommorow (my limit is $200-$400)

I'm not interested in no other brand but Fender..... :bassist:
  2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Do a search. This topic has been covered quite extensively.
  3. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Body shape - the Jazz has an "off centre" body
    Pickups - the P has a single split coil pickup, the Jazz has two single coil pickups
    Neck - generally speaking, the Jazz neck is slightly slimmer at the nut (1.5") as opposed to the Precision (1.625", sometimes 1.75")

Check out www.fender.com , you should get a good idea over there.
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Night and day, my friend...night and day.
  5. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The body shapes are different, as well as the necks.

The P-Bass has Presicion Pickups (P-for short). The Jazz Bass has Jazz Pickups (J- for short). They both deliver different tones, your desicion will probably depend on your style. The P-Bass offers more tone towards rock, punk etc.
  6. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I like mostly ska and reggea and audioslave. Would jazz fit better or Precision?
  7. Audioslave bassist Tim Commerford uses a custom Jazz bass. Reggae and Ska are more fit to the deep tone of a P-Bass. Take your pick.

Edit: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159173
    Somone take this out of the newbie thread and just make it a sticky by itself.
  8. Personal preference. Play them both and see which one feels better for YOU, since you will be the one playing the bass.

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I once heard someone on here say,

A P-Bass Barks

A J-Bass Growls

I agree with that.
  10. Why dont we discuss the tonal differences of the basses. We already have a bark compared to a growl. I like to think of the P bass as having a Plunk preceding the growl. While the Jazz I think is missing the PLUNK.
  11. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    The difference is that guys who play Precisions get more chicks ;)
  12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    This is like asking the question " Who do you like better, the Beatles or the Stones?"

Try them both they feel and sound different. The P is more Bassy, the J more throaty and nasal. The P has a fatter neck, the J is thinner. Apples and Oranges. Only you can be the judge, try'em before you buy'em. :bassist:
  13. An idiot with a P bass is still an idiot. I would know that one first hand. ;)
  14. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I should have known this topic was done before. Sorry I didn't do a search. I just wanted some knowledge from you guys here before I go to the guitar center so I can at least appear to know what I'm talking about before the sales rep takes advantage of me. :p
  15. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Some idiots get tons of chicks, I know that first hand. I guess we could say that guys that play P basses think they get more chicks> :D
  16. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    Between the p and j which one has the lowest, thickest bottom.......
  17. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    ...as the old saying goes - "chicks dig ricks"

So if thats your motivation...spend your way into their hearts :D - who'd of thought it ;)
  18. Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    The precision, but you should give both a try, they have very different necks and tones.
  19. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

you can't look at it that way..
    body woods, electronics, and many other factors make up the tonal aspects of any instrument.

the two most fundamental differences between these two models are

P bass - 1 pickup
    J bass - 2 pickups

P bass - wide nut width
    J bass - narrow nut width