1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what's the difference between a premap and a DI box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by black_JB62, Sep 4, 2003.

1. black_JB62

black_JB62

Aug 10, 2003
    Tokyo
    Sorry for the rookie question...

I am starting out recording on an 8-track HD recorder, and am having trouble getting a good bass sound. Wait, this is really an effector question...

I bought a preamp box called the Trilogic bass preamp a few years ago when I started out, and had never used it in recording. I tried to do some research on it (there's also a short thread in this forum, too), but I found out this thing was quite a rarity... hardly anybody has ever heard of it! Sounds OK when I'm practicing through an amp, but sounds terrible DI'd to the 8-track. So bad, that I'm starting to doubt that this box is made for this kind of thing. Or should I be recording with a mike line as well? Whoops, sorry, that was a small recording question on the side...

Have I got my definitions mixed up? I thought that preamp = DI box.:confused: I would appreciate a cold slap on the face.:eek:

Thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Pre amp: Shapes signal, boosts to proper level needed by the power section.

DI: prepares signal to deliver with minimum noise & coloring possible.

A lot of "DI" on the market today are effects/modeling units made to mimic a mic'ed cabinet... as well as some amplifiers have built in 'conditioned' DI

:meh: I think

[edit]Untill I get my Avalon U5 & Radial JDI I've just been plugging right into the soundcard[/edit]