Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the difference between a violin bass and a normal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Atef, May 27, 2003.

1. are there any differences except for the shape of the body?

I've searched this site but couldn't really find anything about it. just a lot of threads about witch violin bass to buy

2. Not really. Most violin basses are semi hollow and short scale, but so are, for example, Epiphone Rivolis as well.

3. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    The main difference is that, if you happened to be the right guy, in the right place, at the right time.....a "violin bass" HELPED to make you a billion dollars. Other than that, there are more similarities than differences. :^>)

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'd say the semi-hollow and short-scale factor definitely make a difference tone-wise. My cheapo Brice Violin bass sounds similar to my Dano Longhorn, gots ta be those 2 factors accounting for it, I'd say.

maybe a clip or two might help a little?
    Here's one w/ flatwound strings:

brice violin bass: both p'ups

brice violin bass: neck p'up only

I'm not particularly crazy about the shape; it's small, and that affects the way it hangs. Mine's a little neck-divey and just kind of uncomfortable to me, in much the same way that a Steinberger headless/bodiless bass is kind of weird to play on.

Definitely light though! And the neck profile is usually very slim. The Brice/Rogue/whoever else puts their stamp on it model has a straight neck- it doesn't widen out toward the bridge. That makes for some fun forays into the upper frets, it feels absolutely TINY up there.

I've talked to a guy who has both the cheap import model like mine, and the expensive Hofner 'original.' He says they are quite similar.