1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the difference between GK RB series 1 and II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jun 13, 2007.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There are a number of used GK RB heads available. Anyone
    know the difference between the series 1 RB heads, and
    the series II RB heads?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own both series of 1001 heads and here's what gives. The 1001RB is 540 watts and the 1001RBII is 700 watts, The high end (treble) has been softened where as the 1001RBII head sounds mellower and less bright. The newer head is warmer by a longshot The RB series heads also had a cold solder problem, Boards were wave soldered along with design flaws (older heads pre-amp boards and knobs were in the center of head) this caused the boards to be subject to cold solder flare up especially when the head was in transit. The new heads had the pre-amp board and knobs moved to the bottom of the head with more bracing making the older problem no longer an issue. The newer heads also no longer suffer ftom the cold solder problem. I know a couple of people who just had their heads solder joints re-soldered so they would not have that problem. I myself believe my 1001RB head would sound better if all solder joints were re-soldered. Hope this heolps.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the info. You've answered my question.
    I just love TB. (sniff, sniff)

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That is a hell of a good reply! You can't buy answers like these from most reps.

W

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, great post by pyrohr. I have 700RB marks I and II, and the volume difference is much greater than the power increase would indicate. Honestly, the Mk. I, which is no slouch, pales in comparison to the Mk. II. Equally important is the re-voiced EQ (a G-K rep told me this), which produces the much warmer, more "musical" tone mentioned by pyrohr. I was stunned at the difference when I A/B'd the two heads for the first time.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021