1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats The Difference Between Inovation PhyscoSlap Strings And Rockabilly Strings?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by ClintUtz, May 16, 2011.

1. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    Im trying to find a good slap string with alot of tone also. Right now I have weedwackers on my Englehardt and I hate them ther is no sound at all in E or A but they have a nice click.I was wondering if anyone could help me?

2. Go with Lenzner Gut. You can save yourself a lot of $ on strings experiments.

3. DMH2

DMH2

Feb 5, 2009
    Union City CA
    The main difference between the psychos and Rockabillys is the RBs have a steel braided core (like eurosonics) and the psychos are all nylon.

4. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    Innovation Rockabillies are black, thinner and higher tension than Psychoslaps. The click on Rockabillies is higher pitched, more plastic sounding. Psychoslaps are softer to play, more gut-like in tone.
    Compared to gut (or whackers) all Innovation strings can sound a bit twangy and boingy, but they are really a very god approximation .... and have LOADS more volume and tone than whackers.

5. I don't think the RAB have a steel core.
    AFAIK, all Innovation strings have a synthetic core.

6. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    I think there is a steel thread used in Rockabillies. It's not the main core component, but part of the winding I think.
    I had a set on my EUB, and was surprised when the mag pickup actually produced some noise.

But no, none of the Innovation strings have a steel core.

7. DMH2

DMH2

Feb 5, 2009
    Union City CA
    Thanks Paul, I knew I wasn't far off.

I liked the rockabillys, they just had that nasty sound like a string wrapped in Scotch tape.

8. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    Upright fish ... I've not heard that before.
    Chuckle.

9. DMH2

DMH2

Feb 5, 2009
    Union City CA
    I had a woman ask me if I had an upright bass (like widemouth sea bass) on my arm.

10. frostforests

frostforests

Jun 3, 2011
    I just registered more or less to find this out as well. I threw the weedwackers on because they were cheap and had seemingly rave reviews.

Like the OP said, there is no note on the E and A. It's there for literally a quarter second. Just about useless aside from the great click. Those particular strings are way, way too thick, I have a feeling that is the issue. The higher strings sound great, sustain is ok, nice click.

I'd like to retain that click, ease on the fingers and tension, but have a E and A that is usable.

These particular weedwackers I bought were the "upgraded" set, the ones Jimbo supposedly uses, and I believe the selling point was the thicker E and A's, though this has made the set 1/2 un-usable.

11. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    It's the holy grail for slap players.
    Those 'upgraded' Jimbo whackers aren't quite what they make out to be.

One new choice is Cordes Lambert. 2 French guys who started out making whackers, improved them various ways, and now make a purpose built string from scratch, that is almost indistinguishable from gut.

D and G look, feel and sound like plain gut. You wouldn't know they weren't. Same texture, colour, the works.

E and A are wound nylon. Nylon core, E is steel and nylon wound, A comes as plain or nylon wound.

They have MUCH more sustain and volume than whackers, but retain that great click of plain gut (none of the twang or clank you get with Presto, Innovation, Supernil, Oliv, bumped steels etc).

That's quite an achievement.

They are nowhere near as loud as steel, or Innovation or any of those other options. But they ARE a great match to gut or whacker D and G,

They are FAT ... you just have to get used to that.

12. heavytrash13

heavytrash13

Oct 30, 2009
    want tp look in to the Lamberts--how do I check them out??the website I found doesnt work right now.

13. the psychos are soaked in zombie blood, and come in a coffin. the rockabillys are aged in Murrays for 5 years.

Inkdork and Theo413 like this.
  14. BasementN3k0

BasementN3k0

Apr 20, 2011
    VA Beach
    i lol'd!

15. awreck

awreck

Aug 22, 2012
    ya whats up with the lamberts i am breaking in a set of superior deluxe not bad for a whacker but like all of them the e is pretty quiet.

16. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    Are the innovation rockabilly strings very different than the reds? Feel, touch, tension?
    Thoughts? Opinion?

17. I think it's just the color of the wrap, actually.

18. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    Thanks. I like the black ones a lot. Just think it would be a kick to have red string on my dark kay.

19. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    I decided to get the black strings
    I hope the sound great on my 61 kay S1!

20. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    How long will it take for these strings to break down. A bit bright right now.