Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the difference between Jazz and Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackBassPlayer, Jan 5, 2005.

1. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Sorry if this has already been posted but whats the difference between a Jazz bass and a Precision bass and how can you tell which is which? Sorry for being such a n00b.

2. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Oh ok, thanks! I guess theh 4 string bass I have right now is a precision bass since it looks like the first one except its black and the 5 string im getting must be a Jazz bass I guess since it has pickups like the 2nd one. Heres a pic of the 5 string:

[​IMG]

3. what a great, concise, easy-to-understand explanation.

Good job, Smash

Makes a newbie want to go out and buy BOTH! :) (As they should...hehe)

4. That's not exactly a jazz, but definitely has a jazz pickup configuration. You will notice, however, that the body style is P-bass. The pickup configuration has way more to do with the sound, mind you. So, depending upon the electronics, you should get a more Jazz type vibe from this axe.

5. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Oh ok thanks for clearing that up!

6. "I believe it's a Squier Precision Bass."
    Yes. Like Outkast? Some of their last disc was cut on a bass just like yours.
    And, no offense at all, but please go to Barnes and Noble or whatever bookstores are in your area and floor-read every book on bass and music they have. That's how myself and probably a lot of others learned the basics.
    Good luck, and remember to have fun!

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ditto.
    That post should be in the newbies thread.

8. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    +1

dope explanation.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Polite golf clap for that thorough treatise....

(we could use a smily icon for "polite golf clap")

10. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Actually its made by Essex. Its the SX SPB-62 41 5-String Bass. And OMG I might come in the mail tomorrow! I have always wanted a 5 string for some reason. lol

11. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Smash's post so thoroughly answers the question, so I'll just add a couple thoughts.

I have both a Jazz and Precision, and they are very different in sound, it is good to have one of each. The Jazz is a very smooth sounding bass, with quite a few tonal variations due to the two-pickup configuration. The neck is slimmer at the nut and therefore a little easier to play for me. The Precision is aggressive in its tone with the tone knob all the way up. When it is off it sounds old-style, ala Motown's James Jamerson. Its single pickup is extremely quiet, with virtually no hum or noise, even when the tone is all the way up.

Because they are the backbone of the great percentage of recorded music over the last 50 years, you can still play any type of music on either one, and the sound fits right in with what you are playing.

Both basses can become addicting to play. The necks are extemely comfortable, the sound cuts through strongly, the sustain is fantastic, the hardware is high quality, and the overall craftmanship is of high caliber. I also own a Ric and a Music Man Sterling, and the Fenders don't take a back seat to either of these.

12. Cmon, I've owned all these basses too (except the Ric) and
    the Sterling will always get the front seat . . ."shotgun".
    Cmon, :D

13. I've got one of the "Cowpoke" P-Basses and love it. I think personally the P-Bass balances MUCH better than the Jazz. The Jazz seems a little bottom heavy to me. Though the P-Bass can't touch my 6 string Tobias in sound and playablity...the 6-string is just too heavy to be playing ALL the time!!!

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is now.

15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    All of this technical stuff is great, but tell him what he needs to know. A Precision Bass has a deep,full,solid sound with a strong fundamental and beautiful harmonics from every note. Kind of like the pedals on a Hammond organ. A Jazz Bass has a thin, twangy, weak sound like a heavy string banjo. A Precision Bass will give you that deep thump that will vibrate your guts. With a Jazz Bass you will be playing with your knobs all night trying to get rid of that banjo sound. :bag:

16. I wasn't gonna reply to this thread, but when I read what Joe Beets said. Jazz's don't sound thin and weak. Thats just giving the dude the wrong idea completely, they sound DIFFERENT. And a Jazz can thump your guts just as well as any other bass. Its all in the playing (And Volume and Active Pick-ups :) )

17. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

NOT! :rolleyes:

the P bass does have authority...but to say the jazz is weak and thin is just whacked [​IMG]

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I prefer a P-Bass myself, but...

Were it not for thinner neck, I'd get a Jazz for sure. They just sound a little different and Jazz necks are much slimmer. They both are awesome,

Jazzes sound like a banjo? Well, yeah if a banjo sounded like a P-Bass, only brighter.

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    This forum has gotten kind of boring lately. I miss the heated debates over which 12AX7 tube is best for my preamp. Or a mean thread about whether or not players who use a pick suck. A Jazz Bass is really OK if you like that sound.

20. But you've only been around 2 months. :)

Or have you been lurking prior?