Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the difference between program and RMS handling?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Jan 20, 2006.

1. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    I was wondering what the difference is between RMS handling, and program handling on a cab? lets say the cab is 800 RMS and 1600 what program.....what does this mean?

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Go by RMS, Program is a gimmick. It means your cab can run constatly @ 800 and will handle a 1600 peak. You can't run it @ 1600.

3. "Program" is completely undefined and means anything the manufacturer wants it to mean. Its basically the "Musical" handling capability of the speaker.

RMS (which doesn't really exist for power) is the average power handling capability of the speaker at a given frequency, which I believe is typically 1kHz. Although, I don't think RMS is defined by law, so really it could also mean anything the manufacturer wants it to mean.

Also, you have to consider thermal build-up. A speaker may be able to handle 500 watts for 2 seconds, but after 1 minute will melt down.

The best person to share his knowledge that I know of would be Bill Fitzmaurice.

- Andrew