Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the difference between rosewood and maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Is it a sound difference,or more of a feel difference?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can do a search. Most people believe its purely a cosmetic thing as well as a feel thing but some people believe it affects the sound. It is an ongoing debate.

Personally i think it is both, i think it affects the overal vibrations ttherefore affecting tone.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    This has been disputed for quite a while. Some say that it makes no difference, and it's simply for looks. Others say that it makes all the difference in the world. Form the dust of the battlefield comes one true answer. Rosewood boards are made of rosewood, and maple boards are made from maple.

4. ooooooohhhh....how true....

ebony...now that's a whole different story!

seriously...I'm currently kicking around the idea of making an "ebony" fretboard from an existing rosewood board...

as far as tone...

I love the tone of a good bass...don't you? :D

5. I dont think it affects the tone that much, esspecially not on a fretted bass . . . for the tiny difference it does seem to make, i'd prefer a rosewood fretboard, just for the asthetics

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Touch a bass equpped with both and you'll know. They 100% feel different. Which is better is a matter of taste though, personally I prefer Ebony to all other fingerboard materials, with rosewood second. I am not keen on maple but largely for aesthetic reasons, they feel quite good, probably better than rosewood if they didn't look silly to me.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I was a rosewood-only player for 14 years until I bought my first maple-fretboard bass last year... and now I know that my "dream" bass will be constructed with maple (to be fair, I've come to realize a lot about how I wanted my personal sounds to be pretty late in my playing career - only the last 2-3 years out of 15.)

The usual descriptions is that maple has more "snap" and a quicker note attack, while rosewood is more "mellow" and takes a bit more time for notes to bloom. I'd agree with that on a very general level, but as people have said it's only a little part of your overall sound... but it's a whole bunch of "little parts" that make up your overall tone.