What's the difference between the Ampeg 410 HLF and 410 HE? soundwise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andbaggio, Mar 1, 2019.

1. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    I used to have an Ampeg 610 HLF which I loved with my GK 700 RB-II. I sold it because it was a little too big to carry around. I'm about to buy a used Ampeg SVT 410HE but I wanted to know if someone knew the difference between the HLF model and the HE model. I know the HE is a closed cab, but soundwise what's the difference? Is it just less bass booming sound? I'm still looking for a rock sound, let's say a 70's rock sound. Is the HE model still good for it?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    410he sounds more like the 810e and 610hlf, while the 410hlf goes super low with the lows. For what you're looking for, I'd go he.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    700RB apparently. Good to go.

4. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    Thanks JimmyM, always ready with the perfect answer. I used to have the 610 HLF and I loved it. If you say that the 410HE is more like the 610HLF I'd definitely go for it then. I was afraid of loosing lows or that it wouldn't be enough for a stand alone cab. I do have a Fender Rumble 115 but I'm planning on selling it. Thanks for the advice!

JimmyM likes this.
  5. Good idea.
    I was gonna say the difference is...
    The HLF is LOWS.
    The HE is PUNCH

10cc likes this.
  6. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    Perfect I would say then. With my GK I'll get that GK growl out better then with the Ampeg sound in it.

10cc likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The 610hlf and 410he have approximately the same low end response, so that's not a problem.

8. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    I'm about to buy a 2007 made in china 410 HE for around $ 400, is it a gool deal? otherwise I also have a 2005 Eden 212XLT cab for the same money. which one is better? I'm more for the Ampeg actually but I would like to know your opinion

JimmyM likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    2007 was a good year for Ampeg cabs. Never been a big fan of Eden but hey...

10. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    Even the made in China cabs? Lucky me then. Thursday I'm trying it out and probably buying it. I'll let you know. Thanks

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Especially the China cabs! The US cabs had some problematic construction with chipboard, and the ones fron 2000 to 2006 had too dark sounding speakers. But when they moved production, they fixed both those issues.

12. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    Well, I'm a happy 40-year-old kid now. I bought that Ampeg 410 HE cab. It's a 2007 made in China cab which is almost new on the outside and the sound is just fantastic. Ampeg is Ampeg and there's no other comments on that. It's really killer together with my GK 700-RB II.

Thanks for the advice, the 410 HE is perfect for my taste. I think I now have the definite setup I need for gigs.

Skullheadrac, rodl2005 and JimmyM like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022