1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the difference between the bassballs nano....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by b-bottom, Jul 25, 2012.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    and this version?

a.provider,m.251294,mod.media,th.thumbs3,s.pictures.

Besides the size of course....

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I think it's just a reissue in a smaller case. Unlike the nano and neo clone, which a different from the small clone. They had a muff fuzz, screaming bird, soul preacher and the mole in the small nano housing. I love my bass balls in the nano, sounds just like the russian and old USA on YouTube demoes. It's analog and a great simple filter.
    I demoed it for fun a while ago. Back when I had giant pedal boards, I have cracked down to fit my bands bass needs, someday I'll be in a three piece band and my bass tones will be unique and sick!!

And yeah, my voice isn't very manly, Im a young gear head punk.

3. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I actually have the nano now (and I'm in a three piece band :bassist:) And love it. Someone is selling this version locally and I was wondering if the thing would sound different from the one that I already have.

I love how simple the thing is and how it just cuts through everything

4. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I love it too, cuts through and doesn't lose low end!

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I have something very similar to the model in the picture (different knob and an indicator light) as well as the Nano version. Both are great, I've tested them side by side I'd say the non-Nano sounds better, although I use the Nano on my board to save space and I can power it off the daisy chain from Boss pedals.

Although the difference in sound between the two is so miniscule it doesn't really matter.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The bigger one oscillates better in a feedback loop, other than that, not a whole lot.

7. The Bass Balls pictured is one of the original earlier versions, could be late 70's thru mid 80's. I have 2 that I will never part with. At one time this was the preferred version over the Sovtec and for a while prices could be outrageous, I worked in a shop and it was common to sell them between 150-200 bucks while you could get the Sovtec for 60 bucks. With the NYC those speculative prices have fallen*.

The next version available was the big black Russian SovTec version, that many folks have a love for and does offer a slightly different flavor - mid 80's thru mid 90's.

In the late 90's EHX reissued the Bass Balls with an LED, I always refer to that version as "NYC" and it is my preferred version.

The current XO version is cool in many ways for the size, more common power supply jak and true bypass.

The Bass Balls can be easily modified into sounding like a much different pedal, but pleez not that old version, it may not be collectible (today) but ya never know especially if you got the box.