whats the difference between the two???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Jan 21, 2004.

1. i was debating the tobias toby pro 6 for my next bass. so i just wanted to know whats the difference between the tobias toby pro 6, and the tobias toby pro 6B.

toby pro 6

toby pro 6B

also, if anybody has any sort of experience with either, please share general thoughts of the bass.

furthermore, anymore suggestions for a better bass (six or seven string---->preferably sixers tho)for around $1000 would very much appreciated.
  2. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    only difference I see is Bubinga vs. Flame Maple body wings
  3. can anybody compare it to the spector Q6 (or the new model after NAMM).
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Different woods
    Different finishes
    Different necks
  5. for what it's worth, i own a Pro-5 and love it...the electronics are a bit weak, but only in volume. the tone is still there. drop in a new preamp though, and you're in business.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. It has the more comfy asymmetrical neck.
  7. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I have both the Pro and the Pro-B custom. I must say that like the Pro-B MUCH better than the Pro, though the Pro-B Custom is a tad heavier (no neck-dive though!). The neck is more comfy on the Pro-B, and I favor the oil finish over the satin-natural finish of the Pro. The bubinga body has a bit of quilt/flame figuring that i didnt notice until I put a coat of warwick wax on.

The biggest difference to me is the sound. I thought both models would have the exact same preamp, where my older Pro fell victim of the infamous 'weak electronics'. It sounds good, but the signal output was really quiet, lower than any passive bass I've ever owned. The Pro-b custom preamp even looks different. Even the cavity cover is split into 2 parts, 1 small for the battery so that you don't have to take out all 6 or 7 screws to change the battery. The circuit board even looks different. Perhaps Gibson responed to the complaints of the Preamp? who knows. Anyhow, the one in my Pro-B sounds like an active bass should sound. I also noticed that the treble boost is a lot higher than my Toby Pro, and the bass seems to boost at a lower frequency.
    IMO, the Toby Pro b-custom is a far improvement over the Pro, but I still like my Pro for what it is.