What's the difference between these 2 Boss pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm looking at getting a metal distortion pedal for my birthday, specifically at Boss. What's the difference between a Boss Hyper Metal and a regular Boss Metal Zone?
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Hyper Metal has a little more "hard edge" sound and it accentuates the high-end and harmonics a little more than the Metal Zone.

The Metal Zone has more flexible tone controls (IMO) and probably handles lows and low-mids better than the Hyper Metal.

IMO, the Metal Zone would be better for bass.

Also, you might want to check out an Ibanez PD7 Phat Hed Bass Overdrive pedal...
  3. They both really suck for bass. Take it from an expert. I have a Metal Zone (don't use it), and it very effectively filters out the lowest frequencies, which would only blow up a guitar amp. It's for guitar, you know ;)
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the Metal Zone does a pretty good job if you want to sound like a downtuned rhythmic guitar. SOme players look for this.
    Now as said, if you want a real bass overdrive, look elsewhere.
  5. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    All those replies were helpful and to the point, thank you:). I'll check out the PD-7 when I get a chance. One more question, could I use my boss a/c adapter for the Phat Head?

EDIT: What about a boss ODB-3?

EDIT II: Nevermind, I've just used the "search" option like a good newbie(I'm learning, I didn't have to be told this time;) )
  6. Go to the Ibanez site and listen to their pedals. Sound like sh*t. :D

Go to the boss site too.

www.ibanez.com www.bossus.com and i THINK. most likely im wrong.

(FF: I fixed the the link for you)