What's the difference between US and Russian Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jabba, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Jabba

Mar 11, 2005
    What's the difference between US and Russian Big Muff? (except the price of course)
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    components and assembly, i think the russians are made of plastic? i've never tested one, just seen it from affar.
  3. nah the russians are metal. i think some of the american ones are true bypass or something, i liek my russian, but i'm sure the king of effects will stop by shortly and tell you whats up
  4. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Russian opnes have slightly different components that make it better for bass, or so i've heard. Also the input and output jacks are plastic, and for some reason are on the wrong sides.... input is on the left side of the pedal, output is on the right. Don't know why though.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My copy and paste answer:

Just a matter of QC and tolerances as are MIM vs. USA Fenders.

The Ruskie pedals are made by a branch of Electro-Harmonix or New Sensor the parent company in Russia using parts with lesser tolerances for a greater variety in tone.

I've played just about every variety of both those pedals, and my findings are as follows:

Green Russian: Harsh tone, good bass response. Great overall Fuzz tone.
    Black Russian: Good bass response but rather inconsistent in quality, played both good and bad. Tends to be fairly harsh.
    Original American: Fair bass response, somewhat mellower fuzz tone.
    USA Reissue: Inconsistent bass response, some better than others. Mellow to harsh tones, true bypass. My personal favorite.

Case closed.
  6. Jabba

Mar 11, 2005
    by the way, russian Muff looks like T-34 :)