Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the difference between 'wet' and 'dry' efx?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Jan 17, 2002.

1. i understand one way is to connect an efx box in series between instrument and amp and the other way is to use efx send/receive. my eden metro has efx sends on both channels. any suggestions? thanks!

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    'Dry': no effects applied to a signal
    'Wet': a signal that has been effected

What kind of effects do you want to hook up to your amp?

3. Err, just wondered if it has anything to do with the quantity of beer spilled on same.....:D

If you've got the option, use send / receive option: you're not amplyfing the noise of the fx box like that.

John

4. cool, thanks... am looking to add some efx... like chorus & overdrive. time to add some creativity... i hope!

5. Don't like fx myself (boring old f*rt?) and don't use any at all. I kinda took the view that bass should be clean sounding, wholesome and round....that's IMHO, of course.:D

John

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree with John and that far from "adding creativity", effect are usually what people do when they have run out of ideas... to cover up that fact! ;)

Wet and Dry can be used in the context of reverb though - very useful in the studio.

7. if anything, this is an excuse to practice more, at least until i get tired of playing with effects! on my 1st post, i mentioned i had 7 or so efx on my Crate amp but didn't like any of them. this is my next venture into the mystical realm of eeeeefects!

8. Yeah, I'm sure that's the process bassists like Bootsy Collins, Doug Wimbish, Michael Manring and Steve Lawson went through. Lucky for us they've been able to incorporate some effects in order to cover up the fact that they really ran out of ideas.;)

I would speculate that in a lot of cases you are correct but there are some instances where effects have actually helped to open new doors to already creative players.:)

9. How did this turn into a pissing match? Effects are fun to apply and experiement with. Sure clean bass is nice sounding but there are just somethings you can't apply with a clean signal. And on people only using effects because they ran out of ideas, didn't we have candles before the light bulb? Think of a creative use of effects as progress.

10. Don't agree that this is a p*ssing match.

Effects have their place, of that there is absolutely no doubt. However, some players - and I think guitarists more than bass players - confuse creativity with covering up poor playing. I'm NOT saying that's true of anyone on this thread, except me. I've certainly been down that road.

It's just that I don't like or use bass effects. Others think differently, and that's fine by me:D

John

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings