Whats the difference: EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brewer9, Nov 3, 2001.

1. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I just got a bass with Seymour Duncan pickups and the sound seems thinner than my other bass with Bartolinis. Is this true that SDs are not as good as Barts? A friend told me that EMGs are the way to go. Does anyone here have any comments about that?
  2. First, let me say that Bartolinis are my favourite pickups. So most of my comments will be "coloured" by that fact. Speaking of colouration, I think that Barts have the most low end colouration of any pickup around. They tend to the warm side of the tonal spectrum, and I really like that. The SD's seem a little more neutral in general, which is why they may sound a little thinner. If you don't like the Duncans, you probably won't like EMG's, as they are among the brightest of the bunch.
    Here is a pretty good general look at major pickup brands from master luthier David King:
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All three of these brands are made by Peavey, and the family resemblance is very noticeable to me. They're wound to each manufacturer's specs, and I prefer the Bartolini flavor over the others.
  4. You're incorrigible.
  5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    made by Peavey? all of them?
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You have to read Munji´s posts very carefully.

Now, on the other hand, Peavey makes most of the stuff out there, Including EDEN, SWR, AMPEG, CARVIN, Ibanez, Cort, Fender, SMITH, Alembic,Warwick and the like.

They have inmense facilities all over the States,Korea,Germany and Mars, and they take the specs of the designers to make the products as they wish.
    They charge more when it comes to quality so thats why you see some variances in the products of the brands mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

7. Don't believe anything past funkyc's post (including this) and take that with a grain.
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If that means your post is a lie.. then he should believe everything past funkyc´s post.

Then again.. DONT BELIEVE the last post!
  9. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I like all of those pickups. What you need to figure out is what your needs are to choose a pickup. Bart = I like barts but to me they are more "bass specific" than any of the other pups. Great for frettless and taming down a really bright bass, a darker sound than the other 2.

Emg= bright and very hi-fi sounding. Most people love em or hate em. Some people say they are sterile but i believe its just because they have really good definition and its really noticable on the high end. This is usually my first choice depending on the bass.Great for rock

Basslines= They really are between the other 2. Usually more bite than the other 2( a hotter sound) and not dark sounding but lacking some of the high end definition. Great for all around playing.

All of them really come to life with a good preamp. Basslines, aguilar and emg make really good preamps. Imo none of them are worth a dime with out a good pre. But with a good pre i will take any of them over any passive pup made.
  10. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I think I'm catching on. Marshall and Ampeg are both made by Peavey. Its interesting that Polygram records is owned by peavey too. Peavey has taken over the entire music industry! All Hail....Peavey!!!