Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the difference?? Fender P- Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jac11464, Dec 8, 2003.

1. :confused: Can anyone tell me the difference between the Fender percision standard and the highway 1 us p-bass. They seem to be identical but one costs twice as much as the other.I would also like some recomendations on which bass would be best for classic rock and metal.
    Thanks

John

2. oR WOULD i BE BETTER OFF WITH A j BASS ?? COME ON GUYS HELP ME OUT HERE

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    depends if you like jazz basses or precision basses.... you're better off with whatever you like ;)

i dunno the difference.. probably go to fender's website and look for yourself?

4. Can I get this translated?

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I never cared for the P/J config really.... you would think that just using the P pickup would make it sound like just a P bass, but it was never like that...
    They are two way different basses, you really have to decide which type of tone you want...
    I use to love that P bass thump, but I preferr jazz basses nowadays... more versatile...

Play em and decide for yourself. They are of equal value, no one is "better" than the other (comparing P's and J's)... but one may be better suited to you.

I do like P's for punkrock though.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Standard Precision= Made in Mexico
    Highway 1= Made in US

The Highway 1s that I have played have had nicer necks and bridges.

I am fairly certain they have nicer pickups, as well.

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    Standards are MIM so quality of wood or tuners (?)--
    the USA Highway 1 strings through body for one other difference - and it's only available in rosewood fingerboard.

8. John, the MIA's cost more than the MIM.

MIA=made in America
    MIM=made in Mexico
    MIJ=made in Japan

The QC=quality control is different from place to place.

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Not a big deal, but the Highway 1's don't have string through body. It's a regular style bridge.

10. I was favorably impressed with the Hwy 1 Precision I demo'd. The local dealer sells them $599.00.

Precision or Jazz? which ever one is calling your name the loudest when you play'em. You can't go wrong with either for classic rock and metal. Personally, I'd opt for the P for it's simplicity, tone, punch and MOJO - YMMV.

Your profile states your just starting out. I have no personal experience BUT alot of TB'er give a thumbs up to the Essex P bass, as well as their other basses. If budget is a concern it may be worth looking into.

11. go P. The highway 1 basses are ok. But not so much better than a nice MIM that it justifies the price difference. I've seen both string through and topload bridges on Highway 1 basses.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    When I had a jazz I wanted a P. When I got the P I wanted the jazz again. No simple answer other than you need both! :D I love them both equally.

13. :bassist: Yeah your right I'll just buy both.
    Anyone know a good divorce attorney??

14. My ex-wife's :(

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo the Highway 1 is the halfway mark between the MIM and MIA Standard. If you're willing to spend $599 for the Hwy 1, I'd look for a used MIA instead.

16. :D In case anyone is wondering, I followed the advice of a wise man and bought both, a new mia p-bass and a used mim j-bass. I'll let you know which I like better.Thanks for all the help. Now I need to upgrada the amp . Head + cabinet or combo ?? Which brand??

17. Congrats!

Amps, I suggest the Ampeg SVT series.

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. What's your budget? What's the mission - garage band, bedroom, stadiums, sidewalk in front of Marshal Fields? What's the near future goal?

19. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    head and cab defn'ly... I got a Marshall head and a 4x12" cab... You can't imagine until you hear marshalls... I think it'll be for life.
    Ampeg is great tho.