1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the difference (flatwound)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by milo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    What is the difference in quality,sound ,tension...between this two strings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    The Fenders are Flatwounds and the Roto 55's are Pressurewounds. They will most likely sound and feel very different

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I've a set of Fender 9050CL on one of my Rics. I like them a lot. Highs are mellow, not brittle like Chromes. Lows speak with authority!

4. I've always been pleased with Fender 9050's. I've never used the Rotosounds. I really like the Fender 9050ML on my P-bass.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I like the Fenders too. My first flats last spring, but now I'm using labellas and I like them better, more flex and growl. If you want to try flats for old school tone, the Fenders represent well, for a good price. Quite stiff feeling though. Roto 55's will be a different animal, more roundwound sound with a smoother feel, or so they say.

6. Another vote for the Fenders. I have them on my Modulus Q4 and my Godin Shifter.
    Nice touch and warm round sound.

7. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    I tried the Fenders but I didnt like them at all.
    I have used the Roto 55 and they sound fantastic. Smoother than roundwounds with a nice growl to them. I highly recommend them over the Fender flats..

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I've tried two sets of 9050's. With both I had an issue. With the first set the D-string hardened. It became a kind of fence wire. With the second set I also had a problem with the D-string. It was de-tuned all the time. After a few days it just snapped during tuning. So I went back to d'Addario Chromes and learned to appreciate them.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I can't speak as to the quality since I haven't used either string but I can address the other differences.

The Rotos are pressure wound and will have some of the characteristics of a round wound but without the zing and with a smoother feel. They're usually a little brighter than flats as well unless that Fender is a very bright flat.

I'm familiar with GHS Precision Flats and Pressure Wounds having played both. PFlats are a very dark, round, thumpy string and a great match for PBass players who want that 60's Motown or Stax type tone. PWounds have a more modern sound and are very expressive strings that allows more tonal variations on two pickups basses like the Jazz Bass. Both great strings each having it's strong points.

Generally speaking the tension of pressure wounds will be lower than that of flats of the same guage.