1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the difference in CIJ to MIJ Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RikBass, Mar 13, 2008.

1. RikBass

RikBass

Nov 15, 2006
    Perth Australia
    What's the difference in CIJ to MIJ Fenders?
    Cheers

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    my understanding is it's just something that changed (the tag) depending on the year it was made (or crafted, ha) and there's no difference

...but, i'm interested to hear if others have the same or different understanding

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Do a search; there are plenty of (helpful) threads on this. Notice my sig...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fender Japan ran out of serial numbers in their scheme about five years ago (2003 I believe) and because of that changed from Made in Japan to Crafted in Japan and restarted the serial number scheme.

That's all.

5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Nope....not even close! :scowl::smug:

From Wikipedia.org about Fender Japan:

The difference between the "Made in Japan" MIJ and the "Crafted in Japan" CIJ models is to do with who was involved with the manufacturing of the guitars. According to a Fender representative it was in the Fender Japan contract that if there was any manufacturer change involving any part of the guitar then the logo would be changed from MIJ to CIJ. So if the manufacturer changed or the manufacturer outsourced some of the making then the logo would be CIJ. Some CIJ Fenders turn up around 1993 and this seems to be because FujiGen was expanding their factory to be able to handle additional contracts (such as the Orville by Gibson contract) and around 1993 outsourced some of the making to other Japanese companies for a while, resulting in a CIJ logo instead of a MIJ logo. The CIJ Fenders from 1997 onwards are because Tokai and Dyna took over the Fender Japan manufacturing contract from FujiGen resulting in a CIJ logo instead of a MIJ logo.

So there you have it!!!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, it's on Wikipedia, so it must be true.

:atoz:

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida

From a second source:

There was a reorganizing of where the parts were being make in the large, expansive Fugi Gen Gakki company. The island of Matsumoto is where the Fugi plant is located. It houses 15-20 different smaller companies, Like Kawi, Gen Gakki Ten, Yamara, Gotoh, Yamoto, etc. I was told by a former Fender Rep that the necks were made one place and the bodies another, while the electronics were made in yet another. I was told that the contract with Yamoto stated if any major subcontractor was to be changed the weaning process would have to take place (MIJ to CIJ). They call it the “Squire countdown.” Since Fuji was pressing hard to get the Epiphone contract, a change was made. Kawi was moving the bulk of their piano building to a new facility in China, and would also be making their own “harp” frames there. This freed up a lot of space in the plant. Yamara and Gotoh retooled to handle the woodwork and finish aspects of the guitars—thus the Crafted in Japan line was created.

8. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    So all that said, did quality, price or appearance change with the production changes? There doesn't seem to be anything obvious to this Fender player (but I only have a MIA and and MIM)...