1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the difference in these THREE 60's P pickups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bumperbass, May 26, 2017.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Could you guys give me what you think would be the differences in these pickups?
    Original '62, Custom Shop '62, and Custom Shop '63
    Is it that much of a difference to be heard in a live setting? My ORIGINAL '62 needed the eyelets resoldered twice, so I can't really trust it anymore. I don't know whether to by another '62 or one of the others?
    Thanks for your opinions. I love my Original '62, but it's the cheapest of the three, so maybe I'm missing something?
    Thank you.

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    My opinion is ,

Original 62 P : Upper mid present pickup with lack bottom end , tone even string to string and open sounding. Clear and bright. Great match with broken in Labella flatwound + .1uf cap to create Motown sound.
    If use along with roundwound string + wide open tone knob, you will hear this pickup sound harsh.

Custom Shop 60 P : I dint own it, been play the Am Std P with stock fender roundwound string. It sound scoop . The E and A sound ok, but the D and G just sound thin to me. Agressive tone.

Pure Vintage 63 P : I love this thick P vibe pickup. It give you fuller sound on D and G string . Tone even from string to string. 12K winding give me higher output than Ori 62 and SPB1 . This pickup sound nice either with round or flat wound string. Highly recommand for Fender MIM P or Squier P stock pickup upgrade.

Dont forget , the P vibe is not just simply create by Pickup, the String choice and Neck profile is factor too.

hope help

3. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks Yahboy. I use DR Lo-Rider nickel strings. I have a 60th Anniversary Pbass that came with the sucky pickups everyone knows about.