Whats the difference in tone between Lakland DJ5 and JO5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B String, Feb 21, 2005.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes, thats what I want to know. What is the tonal
    difference between the Darryl and the Joe 5's. Which is
    more versitile?
  2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just got a DJ5 and I can tell you it is a very GREAT sounding bass. It can be bright and clear sounding. (Can anybody say "Marcus?) It gets a GREAT 70's Jazz bass slap tone. Also a great Fingerstyle tone. I can easily use the tone control to warm things up to get more mids and a darker, fat, old school round tone. I don't know if the DJ5 is *more* versatile than a JO5, but I can tell you from my very recent experience with the Lakland DJ5, it is very versatile.

The B string is in the top three I have personally played (Roscoe's, My F Bass and Modulus Quantum 5) It might even be the best B string I have heard. It is that tight, punchy and focused and well balanced with the rest of the strings. I can't compare to the JO5, but I've heard the JO5 is more of a 60's jazz bass tone opposed to the DJ5 being more of a 70's tone. Hope that helps just a little. - Gary
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Roscoe, Hit the nail on the head, The JO is 60's the Dj is 70's, If your in a motown cover band or play a lot of Traffic,Allman Bros and Creedence you'll probably like the Joe Osborn better, great bass for flats. If your doing Marcus, Earth Wind and Fire or Sting you'll dig the DJ. Both though are very versitile and will cross over fairly well. I haven't had the privilage of playing the DJ5 yet , Low Down sold the one they had in about a day! Played many an Osborn, Very impressive! I think there the best buys out there unless you can afford a Metro.