1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the difference? p-bass pick-up with magnets on the bottom and one without.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassblast, Mar 6, 2008.

1. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I took the pickups out of my standard and they had magnets on the bottom. I took out my pick-ups on my special and there was no magnets. And which has better sound.

2. which one sounds better is up to you...

there are two basic construction techniques...

first type, the type with the bar magnets underneath, use ferrous metal "slugs" as the pole pieces...the magnets then magnetise these pole pieces by being in contact with them...often the magnet in this type of pickup is ceramic, although it doesn't have to be...

next type, the type without the magnets underneath, use permanent magnet pole pieces...usually these pole pieces are Alnico (but don't have to be)...

so that's the difference...the "sound" of the pickup has more to due with the magnetic field strength, vs the electronic characterics (inductance, capacitance, resistance), than it does whether or not you have a bar magnet or not...

however, that said....most of your "higher end" pickups use the 2nd type of construction, and the "production line" types use the first type...reason being is the 2nd type requires an important "magnetising" step that isn't necessary with the first...

your older, "vintage" pickups are built like the first...

tbplayer59 likes this.
  3. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Thanks Dude !