1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what's the difference please?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 13, 2001.

  1. barroso


    Aug 16, 2000
    what's the difference between an envelope filter and an envelope follower? i think to the electro harmonix envelope filter called bassballs and to their envelope follower called doctor Q. thanks
  2. brianrost

    brianrost Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The FULL name is "envelope following filter", that is, a filter that follows the amplitude envelope of the signal.

    The technology (and name) comes from synthesizers. In synths, you can use envelope following circuits to control things other than filters (vibrato or pitch for example).
  3. MJB


    Mar 17, 2000
    And, the BassBalls is a twin envelope filter and has a distortion circuit as well.
  4. Phat Ham

    Phat Ham

    Feb 13, 2000
    I think the BassBalls is a twin dynamic filter, or is that just a different name for the same thing?
  5. MJB


    Mar 17, 2000
    Twin dynamic envelope follower. As described on the ehx website.

Share This Page