Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Highpines, May 8, 2005.

1. Hello....I am curious what the difference is between a Fender Jazz and a Fender P Bass, is it only the pick-up's or is there a difference in the neck and such? I play a Spector and love it but maybe an older Fender would be nice to add to the "Money Pit" someday. Thanx

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There are quite a few differences. You note that the neck is different, and this is true...the Jazz can be quite a bit narrower at the nut than most Precisions. They also feel quite different, since the body shape and sculpting is different (that famous offset wait that the Jazz has).

The biggest difference is in tone. The P has a really straightforward sound with more 'thump' and I find it has more low/mid punch than a Jazz. While the Jazz can go from smooth bottom to that trademark emphasized upper-mid tone (bridge pickup sound).

3. Quote from "DarkMazda"

Here are the differences in the Jazz and P

1) Jazz has a more Brighter, Punchier tone
    2) Precision has more Solid, One type Sound
    3) J has 2 Single Coils like | | which makes the different type sounds
    4) P has a 1 P-style Pickup, which makes that one solid sound
    5) Jazz has a thinner neck @ nut, 1.5" i think and the P has a 1.675 or somethign like that
    6) Jazz has a more curvier, sexier body then P !

But overall, its up to you.. there are Jazz bass lovers.. Precision bass lovers.. Its all up to you, what kind of music you play and much more!! Good luck!!

O.K........With smaller hands this was the info I was looking for from another thread.......is there anything else I should know about the Jazz?......Thanx

4. Thanx BS......just a few more...The difference between a MIN compared to a U.S........ and the guitarist in the band (yea, I know don't worry) only plays vintage stuff ....50's and 60's Fenders......besides resale and collecting and or worrying about what everybody else thinks, why buy a scratched up old bass for $3000.00 when you can get a new one for a lot less?............Thanx in advance

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is a difference in tone and feel on the pre CBS Fenders compared to the newer ones. Only you can decide if it is worth the price difference.

As far as MIM vs. MIA, the MIAs have better hardware, better construction, and better electronics. But there are lots of guys in working bands making a living with a MIM.

Again, only you can decide if an MIA is worth more to you than a MIM. I suggest going to your local Fender dealer and playing several examples of each.

My personal preference is for the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee signature, which is modeled after his early seventies Jazz. It is made in Japan(MIJ).

Falls in between the MIA and MIM in price, the construction is pretty darned close to the MIA, and to my ears, the MIJ Geddy sounds better than any of them.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My experience agrees...The big difference in the MIJ/MIA/MIM basses are in the hardware/electronics department. My MIJ Jazz (back when Fender tiered their lines slightly differently) has a very nice neck & body, but the pickups were pretty bad, as were the undersized/lightweight pots and wiring...I switched them out, and it's great.

I find the MIA made basses to be a bit sturdier, but lacking in the vibe department. My 93 MIA Jazz is a little bit, um, blocky feeling? It's also a bit heavier. It sounds like a Jazz, but was a little bit light on the distinctive Jazz tone than any of the older Jazzes I've played, sort of like they tried to modernize and mainstream the instrument's sound during that time period.

My 73 P on the other hand, just feels like a vintage Fender. It's hard to describe, but it's just comfy and organic and has more soul. The Finish has checked in a fine spiderweb all over the body and it's scuffed, dinged and generally roughed up a bit. The neck has had any edges it might have had at one point worn smooth...Keep your eyes open if you decide you want an old Precision, they're not that outrageously priced. I would be playing it more if that pickup didn't mess up my fingers so much. I bought mine not 5 years ago, and it was around 700 bucks.