Whats the difference?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JHMAVRO, Sep 16, 2000.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    My ampeg head and Peavy combo both have a {Preamp-out/poweramp-in } and a {send/return}. Does anybody know what the difference is?????

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    And the effects send/return is usually footswitchable.

I'm guessing that the preamp out/power amp in connections are set up at a hotter (line) level; the effects send/return, I believe, are set up at instrument level for stomp box effects which are designed for that lower level.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmm, usually you do get line level from the effects send...

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    So then whats the {pre-amp out/ poweramp in } used for???
  6. Self explanatory. If you are using the Peavey as a pre-amp, the out goes to the input on the power amp. If you are using a power amp (crown, etc) for more power, it goes into the power amp input.
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    On the Peavey, you can use it as a pre amp or a power amp. The power amp input is usually a signal from a preamp into the amp, and bypasses the pre amp section. the preamp out is a signal out to a power amp.

8. Hmmm, that sounds like what I just said,with a couple different words....
  9. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The main difference is usually were they are in the signal path. The pre-out is at the end of the chain right before the pwr amp (and pwr amp in is straight to the pwr amp). The effects Send/return are usually (but not always) after the EQ, but before any compression. Sometimes they are switchable pre/post EQ, or there are 2 loops (1 pre & 1 post). The pre out can be used to send the signal to X-over and the you can use the pwr amp in for either the highs or the low and use an external amp for the other or you can use an external pre-amp and go into the pwr amp in.
  10. Actually, no.

You said a power amp goes into the "power amp in" for more power.

mikemulcahy said a pre amp goes into the "power amp in" for bypassing the pre amp section.

Now I'm confused. :confused:
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <b>effecs send/return:</b> - opens the signal path within the preamp

- line level

<b>preamp out/poweramp in:</b> - opens signal path between preamp and poweramp

- line level

So they're basically the same thing, they differ in their position in the amp's circuit...

In most cases the effects loop is serial, a parallel FX loop has a mixer for mixing dry and FX sound

[Edited by JMX on 09-19-2000 at 03:57 PM]
  12. Yeah, What he said! :D